I rang for her apartment number and only a moment later did the door open. Walking in I headed for the direction of the elevator. I was so nervous. What would they say? Would they be disappointed? Upset?

The elevator ride felt too quick and before I knew it I was standing in front of Mari's apartment door. I brought my fist to knock lightly.

Within moments the dark wooden door swung open and I was met with Mari's gorgeous smile and warm presence. I stepped forward into her awaiting arms, pushing the nerves down as I accepted my friends comfort.

"I'm glad you could come." She said. Pulling back slightly keeping a tight lipped smile on her mouth, she nodded her head to the direction behind her.

I was met with the sight of Mari's parents. Emmanuel and Claudia. They stood in the living room, watching Mari and I's interaction. I instantly froze, scanning the two people in front of me.

Her father took a step forward, glasses upon his face and an unreadable expression. He took careful steps until he stood before me. My heart was racing and all the memories I hid so deeply came springing back. All the nights he'd make my favorite stew. The nights he'd help me with math homework and english homework and science. Everything. He helped me with everything.

Tears sprung to my eyes and I could see the pain behind his own. He slowly brought his arm up, bringing his hand to rest on my shoulder. My heart was beating so fast.

I couldn't breathe as he pulled me into a hug I haven't felt in years. The tears spilled and I grasped onto the part of me that I held so close to my heart. His arms tightened around me as I shook with sobs. Everything suddenly becoming too real.

I felt the dainty hand of Claudia swipe across my back and I moved my head to see the woman who had become a second mother to me. She smiled back at me, her own tears falling.

And then we were all hugging.

Mari came to the side of myself and her father. And Claudia wrapped her arms around the opposite side.

"This is dramatic." Mari said with a laugh. I turned to her laughing through the tears to see her own eyes watery.

We all pulled away, wiping eyes clear of sadness.

"Amelia, we are so happy to see you." Claudia said first. I turned to her, giving a soft smile.

"I don't think you realize how sorry I am for the past 6 years." I whispered, choking up again. Clearing my throat I continued. "Just know that, in my heart I thought I'd be protecting you all. If I had just disappeared."

"No." Emmanuel said. I whipped my head to his. The first time hearing his voice in years.

"What we were doing was protecting you. You should've left the protection to us Amelia. You were a child." He said, a tone full of pain. "You left us. No word, no letter, nothing."

"I know," I whispered, casting my head downwards and running my hands through my hair.

"But from your eyes. I can see how you thought you'd be helping." He finished.

I met his eyes again, deep brown behind his thick rimmed glasses.

"You were as much our family, and as much our daughter, as Mari was. You still are." He continued. My heart burst as he flashed a sad smile.

"I owe you years. And I don't expect you to all of a sudden forgive me." I said stepping forward again to get close to them both. "But I want nothing more than the opportunity to show you both that you raised a strong independent young woman. You both made me into the person I am today both intentionally and unintentionally and I will forever be in your debt." I finished.

They stepped up to me, both parents wrapping me in their arms once more.

"We just want you safe Amelia, that's all we've ever wanted." Claudia whispered into my hair.

And there in that moment I felt like the 10 year old girl who seeked warmth and love in a family who gave their all. I felt like the girl who had just run from her nightmare and landed right in the arms of her savior.

This was my family. And having them back in my life rid of the constant worrying. The constant checking behind my back and the heavy weight on my shoulders full of guilt.

"Ok let's take this to the living room, I'll get started on dinner." Mari said breaking us apart.

We shuffled into the living room, Mari already having champagne at the ready.

"This is for the arrest of Matt Fraiser. Someone who deserves to rot for the rest of his life. And this is for my family," she spoke with a smile. "My family is finally whole again."

We all clapped, and Mari popped the champagne, fizz flying everywhere. Laughs were heard from all of us. We accepted our share of celebration liquid and the understanding of new beginnings floated around us.

Mari left for the kitchen to get started on dinner. I turned to the parents besides me, the smile never leaving my face.

"So, we hear you're acquainted with the lawyer's son," Claudia asked with a smirk.

My cheeks instantly flooded with color and I took a sip of my drink.

"Yes, we're.." I didn't know what to say. What were we? "Friends." I settled on.

She eyed me skeptically.

"Mari tells us the court date will take place on Wednesday this week. We intend to stay down here for the week. To be here for you and for Mari." Emmanuel stated. This week?

I guess I hadn't really done much talking with Dante after he'd gotten back from his parents. If I did I'm sure he would've informed me.

"We're going to get through this. And we're going to do it together. As a family." He finished off.

We all smiled and I leaned my head to his shoulder soaking in the comfort.

My life had been crazy these past 6 years and within the matter of a month I'd confronted such a buried part of myself. The fearful guarded person from weeks ago was slowly fading into the person she always knew she'd be.

I never gave myself a chance to love. To open up. And now, surrounded by the people that left such a monumental mark on my life I felt as though I could finally let that part of me go.

"So more about the lawyers' son. He's Dante Brown correct." My thoughts were interrupted by Claudia's teasing tone.

I lifted my head, shaking it as I met her eyes again.

"Yes," I said.

Mari walked back into the room with a platter of cheese and crackers.

"You love him?" I whipped my head to Emmanuel. Watching his eyes scan my face with a slight smile to his mouth.

My heart rate picked up. Not prepared for such a question.

"I don't know what that feels like. But..." I said turning to look at my glass. "I think I'm starting to." I whispered.

I looked up to Mari's wide smile.

"Let yourself love Amelia. You're safe. You have a family. You are deserving of happiness. Let yourself go. Let yourself fall." Emmanuel said passionately from besides me.

And with that I think I knew. I knew I loved my family around me here. I knew I loved Tatum. And I knew that there was a part of me just waiting.

Waiting to love Dante Brown.

"Okay," I whispered back.

And from then on the night was filled with a delicious traditional dinner. Memories flooding the table conversations. And the sounds of a family finding each other once again.