Chapter Eleven | Aunt

Beginne am Anfang

James shrugged, indifferent. "It is a measly sum to me."

His aunt snorted. "You wouldn't be uttering those words if I hadn't taken control of the estates following your father's death."

James' heart stopped for a second. How could he have forgotten that he could ask his aunt about the incidents after his father's demise. She probably had more information about the events taking place afterwards. However, before he could voice his opinion, his great-aunt continued to speak as if he were irrelevant.

"We shall need to create a story of your origin my dear. It won't bode well to say that you simply showed up at the Duke of Lennox's manor, now would it?"

"No, my lady."

"We could always say that she is a distant relative of yours who was in America for a couple of years," James suggested.

His aunt gave him a regal nod, "It's good to see that your brain isn't as empty as I feared it was. It should work well enough. There must be books on America in the massive library of yours. Give them to Lady Vivienne so she can speak on the topic if someone questions her."

James didn't know the titles of half of the books in his library. He had inherited most of them from his father, who had inherited them from his grandfather. James made a note to order one of his servants to look through his collection after breakfast.

Aunt Esme stood up as did James. "Now then, if my room is prepared, I think I'll lie down for a bit," she rubbed her back absentmindedly, "the journey was quite tiring and my limbs aren't as strong as they used to be."

Indeed, they weren't. As James took a closer look at her, he could see signs of her age. Her cheeks seemed to be skunked in, and there was a weariness to her that he hadn't seen before. He knew she wouldn't accept help from the others, so he took her arm before placing it on the crook of his elbow. His great-aunt didn't say much, but she squeezed his right arm indicating her thanks for the support.

"Mrs. Shrine prepared the room you usually stay in. I can escort you there now."

"Very well boy, lead the way," she said in her usual gruff tone.

She began walking with his support but turned around in the last minute and gave a rare smile to Vivienne. "It was a pleasure meeting you my dear. I'm sure we will get a chance to become better acquainted in the next few weeks."

"It will be my pleasure," Vivienne replied.

"I'll be back after helping Aunt Esme settle in. Perhaps we can talk about what we were discussing prior?" James suggested, he still needed to speak to her about the field and he was sure she had a dozen questions for him.

When she nodded, he was relieved. It was better to let him explain then his aunt.

***

Vivienne was still seated at the table as she watched the footmen clear the various plates littering the surface. There was a lot for her to comprehend and varying degrees of surprises. She had learned the duke's Christian name. James.

The syllables ran off of her tongue as she whispered the name. Feeling a bit silly, she made sure that nobody else had heard her. What was more shocking was the fact that James had set up a dowry for her. After her father's disappearance, she had forgotten about her aristocratic life fearing that her and Agatha would remain in Flaxpool for eternity. But to be thrusted back into society and get the opportunity to do the things she'd thought were taken away from her forever was comforting.

The duke truly was intelligent. As if knowing her fear of going to London, he'd invited his aunt who had been in society for a long time. Vivienne was sure that she would be able to guide her into the midst of London's ballrooms. Suddenly, the images were much clear. She would be dancing in the middle of a floor, with everyone's eyes on her. Her partner would make her laugh, before they would take a break to drink something sweet to quench their thirst.

She was rudely awoken from her daydreams with the duke's voice reaching her, "Lady Vivienne?"

She stood up so fast, nearly bumping her knee into the table. James looked unconcerned with her actions, "Shall we head to my study now?"

Vivienne nodded and followed the duke to his study. He held the door open for her and she took a seat on the chair. The duke sat on the opposite side—occupying the chair she had, last time they had been in the study together.

"I'm sure you have many questions," he began.

"Yes, I know you said it's a measly sum, but you don't need to have a dowry set up for me."

"Lady Vivienne, it was of no trouble to me. I don't have any family besides my great-aunt and there is only so much I can do with my wealth. If I'm able to assist you in securing a safe future for yourself, I don't regret it at all."

Vivienne swallowed. She felt emotional. She hadn't had anyone supporting her like the duke did. The last person who made her feel safe had been her father, and she had a vague memory of him at best. "I'm eternally grateful. Anything you need, I'll do my best to help with."

The duke gave her a solemn nod. "Well, the wonderful news is that you can help me. You were about to speak on how to revitalize the soil in order to increase crop yield earlier?"

Vivienne felt a sense of warmness fill her. The duke was asking for her opinion. This was a man who had so much wealth he could pay for her dowry and tell her to sod off. Yet, he valued her opinion and turned to her when he realized she had more knowledge on something that could benefit him. That, she realized was a sign of a true intelligence and kindness. Opening her mouth, Vivienne began pouring all the knowledge she knew about soil and its fertilization. 

----------------

Hmm, maybe James is not pure hearted as we first thought. We welcome one of my new favourite characters, Aunt Esme! On another note, thank you so much for the 500 reads on this story. We also ranked #74 in historical fiction!