Chapter Eleven | Aunt

Start from the beginning

James watched with some satisfaction as Vivienne curtsied, and his aunt's mouth rose slightly in approval, "My lady."

James point his arm towards Vivienne, "Aunt Esme, this is who I wrote to you about, Lady Vivienne."

His aunt continued her appraisal of Vivienne. "Your posture is fine, but you'll need new gowns. And what is with that god-awful hairstyle?"

Vivienne stayed rooted in her spot, reminding James of the deer he sometimes hunted on his grounds.

"We were just finishing up breakfast," James said, as he led his aunt to the table and gestured to the footman to set up another plate. "Please join us."

His aunt sat down momentarily distracted from scrutinizing Vivienne, "Well, I must say, I am rather hungry from my journey."

"And where did you journey from Lady Torrington?"

"London dear. Might I say, the country air has placed me in a better mood already. James, I must thank you for your invitation, I didn't believe it would arrive before the season began."

James ignored the rib and took a seat once more. He knew his aunt would not let him leave until she finished her meal.

"Now dear, you must be grateful for my intervention. Being alone in a house without a chaperone can prove to be quite troublesome to a lady's reputation. Fortunately, you have been in the country, had this been London, there would be quite the scandal about now"

"Which is why I invited you to join us," James replied placing two fingers on his temple. A headache was already forming, his aunt was best in small doses.

"The duke has been the perfect gentleman and very accommodating," Vivienne explain, her voice so soft that in order to hear her clearly, James needed to lean to his left.

Aunt Esme placed down the pastry she'd been eating, and her gaze bore into James' accusingly, "Well yes, I'm sure my great-nephew has been hospitable to a certain degree, some may say that he even has a reputation of being quite the charmer."

James knew exactly what his great-aunt was hinting at. Having a certain amount of charm never did anyone wrong. In fact, it often helped him receive exactly what he wanted. "I save my charms for the ladies that want the attention."

"Certainly," his aunt responded sweetly. Then she switched the attention solely on Vivienne, "What are you looking for in a husband?"

If James had been drinking something about now, he was sure that it would be all over the pristine oak table.

Vivienne paled and lowered her gaze, "I'm not exactly looking for a husband, Lady Torrington."

"With a few lessons, you will not need to look, they'll come flocking to you, especially with the size of your dowry. Then you can weed out the imperfect ones and toss them to the side."

James needed a drink right about now. It seemed like his aunt was ready to spill everything he had told her. In her defense, he had not mentioned that what he was sharing with her was private, but he should have known the astute old women spoke when and however she liked.

"I do believe you're mistaken; I don't have a dowry." Vivienne corrected her with utter politeness.

His aunt waved her hand, "You don't need to worry about that, James took care of it."

Vivienne's eyes widened, "And who exactly is James?"

James smiled at her question and cleared his throat, "that would be me." He wasn't surprised she didn't know his Christian name since nobody in the household used it. Vivienne's green eyes met his and he could read the question within them, why had he not told her about the dowry?