Chapter 2 - I'm Not Really A Coldhearted Jerk

Start from the beginning

Just as I came out, I heard my phone vibrate.
I didn't really have friends that texted, so I had no idea whose message it could be. The number was unknown, but I went ahead and opened it anyway. What I read made me rush to the windows and hastily close the curtains, something which I should have done a lot earlier but had forgotten about.

U look so hot in a towel. Y bother with clothes? ;)
- Aaron, ur sweet neighbour.

I was so mad, he was going to be sweet pulp the next time I saw him!
I ignored the text and went into the bathroom with my dress, just in case it turned out that Aaron had x-ray vision and could see through curtains too.

I decided to accessorise. with simple black earrings and heels. After quickly running a comb through my hair, I went downstairs to get my look approved by mom.

~*~

Looking out the window of our car, I got a view of the house where the dinner was being hosted. When we entered through the gates though, I realised it was more of a mansion, complete with a fountain in the garden and everything.
We were welcomed by a middle aged man and a woman, who I guessed was his wife. We got inside, my parents told me to find some people of my own age and went off to socialise with their friends and co-workers. Shanaya couldn't make it because she had some college paper due the next day. So now I was left standing alone in the midst of all these people, not one of whom was below fifty.
I'd seen a refreshment table when we came in though, so I went and got myself a soda.

Sitting in one of the floofy chairs, I observed the whole room, which was huge and decorated in elegant colours.
Everyone was dressed in ridiculously classy attire, looking so rich and influential. The musicians at the end of the room were playing some classic melody.
Basically, the whole atmosphere was so depressing that I was forced to get up and leave the house.

I went out into the garden and sat on one of the benches, watching the lit up fountain and listening to the peaceful sound of splashing water. The weather was perfect; I could feel a light breeze blowing across my face.
Just as I closed my eyes to enjoy the serenity of the moment, a voice broke silence.

"Too many old rags in there?"

I looked up to see Aaron leaning against one of the trees. He looked more handsome than usual (if that was even possible) in a tux, and the smirk on his face showed that he knew it too.

"Haven't you ever heard of respecting old people and also a girl's privacy? Texting me was-" I was totally ready to give him a piece of my mind and tell him off about the earlier incident, but he just cut me off.

"I respect only those who respect me. And some of the people in there look at me as If I'm dirt on the street." For a moment his eyes were filled with pure hatred and his expression was so pained that without thinking, I blurted out, "Are you okay? Wanna talk about it?"

His head snapped in my direction and I was taken aback by the anger and venom in his voice. "I don't need you to be my shrink and I definitely don't want to share stories about all the sad things that have happened to us, cause frankly, I think being sad over something or even someone, for that matter, is a load of bullshit."

Hearing those words, the memories that I had so carefully buried deep down, flooded back in and even though I tried hard, I couldn't hold back the tears. I had to get away from there because firstly, I hate crying in front of anyone and secondly, if I cried in front of Aaron of all people, I knew he would just make a laughing stock out of me. I got up and started to leave before he could see that I was in tears.

But it turns out I wasn't as discreet as I had thought; before I had even taken a step further Aaron said, "Avery, wait! Are you crying?"

Even through the sorrow and hurt, my heart skipped a beat when I heard him say my name. I knew I should turn around, but I just couldn't face him in this state. If I stayed any longer, I would have a complete breakdown and that would be way too embarrassing. So I just kept on walking with my head down, hoping to find my parents and go home.