a blast & its aftermath

Start from the beginning

"He was going to get it anyways, better from me than Strauss," Spencer explains. "You can't keep Athena from him Em."

Emily glares at him. "Reid I'm not, I've been spending lots of time with Athena because she's growing up too fast."

It's true, Emily doesn't want Athena to grow up. Even though she's so little, she's about to turn 4.

"Hotch needs to spend time with her too," Spencer replies.

She gives in. As Hotch and Emily communicate, it was only for Athena. Hotch tried to talk about other things except for Athena but Emily always ignored him. "So... your birthday's coming up?"

Emily shoots a look at him. "How do you know?"

"I remembered and Elle Greenaway invited me for an event for your birthday," Hotch says, watching Athena go down the slide at the park. "I'm not telling you what it's about. But you do need a babysitter."

"Why?" Emily asks.

Hotch smirks. "Because it's an adult party."

Emily doesn't trust babysitters or anyone except the people who have been there since Athena's been born. She doesn't want to let down her wall.

"Jessica can watch Athena for the night," Hotch says. "She can bring Jack to your place if Athena's more comfortable."

It's not that Emily doesn't trust Jessica, it's just that Emily's never really left Athena. But she had to someday.

Emily looks at him. "We can — um arrange that."

"Good."

-

The day came. Emily's birthday.

It was a sunny day. "Happy birthday Mommy!"

The night before, Athena sneaks into her Uncle Luke's room. "Athena, how'd you get down here?"

"Let's make Mommy a yummy breakfast tomorrow," Athena whispers. "It's her birthday tomorrow!"

Luke groggily nods his head. "Come on let's take you back into your room. It's past your bedtime Missy."

Luke carries a tray full of food while Athena brings in flowers and balloons. "Look Mommy!"

She gets put on the bed and Emily gives her a kiss on the cheek. "Thank you Baby, it looks so pretty and good!"

They eat in bed, after they're done, they both walk downstairs to see her close friends awake. "Happy birthday Em!"

Hugs go around. "You better get ready for tonight!"

Emily completely forgot about her "surprise" birthday party. She spent her time spending time with Athena.

"I don't want to leave Athena," Emily whispers. "She doesn't know I'm leaving her either."

Elle sighs. "You know it's gonna happen one day. Besides you told me that Hotch's sister in-law is coming with her son since we haven't gotten a baby sitter yet."