Chapter Seven: Elena

We found an old pickup truck at the edge of the junkyard. Thalia was able to hotwire it, her and Grover got into the front. Zoe got into the bed of the truck and buried her head in her knees. Percy and I followed after her, I curled up next to him and closed my eyes. I wasn't able to sleep, my mind was racing. I felt so guilty, I should've stopped Bianca, she died thinking I hated her. I could feel the tears coming, I gripped Percy's shirt and fought to keep the tears at bay. I felt him pull me closer, he kissed my head and rubbed my arm. My hand clutched the tiny figurine that she'd died in order to give to Nico. Gods, what was I going to tell Nico?

"It should've been me," Percy whispered.

I shot up, "P-please don't talk like that." I said, my tears breaking free.

I grabbed his arm tighter, scared that he would disappear. I started to cry. Just imagining losing Percy was painful, I'd already lost Bianca. I didn't want to lose him too.

"Annabeth is gone, now Bianca. I wouldn't be able to...to handle you leaving too." I sobbed out.

Percy wrapped his arms around me, I was nearly on his lap, "I'll never leave you, I promise."

I nodded and kissed him, "I love you." I whispered.

"I love you too."

The truck later ran out of gas at the end of a river canyon. Thalia got out and slammed the door in anger, "Great, what now?" she asked.

"There's a path over there!" Grover pointed, "It goes to the river."

"That's a goat path." I said.

"So?" he asked dumbfounded.

"Besides you, we're not goats." I said.

"We can make it." Grover insisted.

I looked at Thalia, she looked absolutely petrified. That's when I realized that the reason she was freaking out in my dad's chariot was she had a fear of heights.

"No," I said, "We should go further upstream."

"But-" Grover insisted.

"C'mon!" I grabbed Thalia's hand, "a walk won't hurt us."

I pulled them along, we walked further and came across a river and grabbed three canos. Percy left a stack of golden drachmas with an IOU three canoes note.

"We need to go upstream." Zoe spoke for the first time since the junkyard.

"Leave that to me." Percy said walking forward.

They put the canos in the water while Thalia pulled me aside, "Thanks."

"For what?"

"Changing course, I didn't know you knew about-"

"Oh I didn't but it was a pretty lucky guess."

"Thanks again though."

I smiled, "Don't mention it. I won't tell anyone by the way."

She nodded and we went to the river, "Hey can you ride with Zoe?" Thalia asked.

"Why me?"

"Please, I don't think I can stand being in the same boat as her, besides...she's starting to worry me."

I sighed, "Okay."

"I owe you one."

"Two actually." I said smiling.

She rolled her eyes, "whatever birdie."

I laughed, "Alright pinecone face."

She cracked a smile before walking off. I got into the same boat as Zoe. Grover got into one with Percy, Thalia wanted to be alone. I saw Percy look into the water and within seconds we lurched forward. Grover fell back in his boat.