Chapter 14: First things first

Magsimula sa umpisa

"The brain and talent," dagdag ko.

"—and the time to do whatever, we'll all go for something great. I aim high because I'm able. I owe it to myself to make something out of myself."

Nagkatinginan kami. I'm sure as hell, iba na ang ngiti ko sa kanya. My initial thoughts about the park was to find a spot dark and comfy enough for naughty activities. Just in case. Now the darkest spot and the sexiest trick don't interest me at all. I was scared to say the same thing he said to me early on but I'd say it anyway.

"You're amazing," sabi ko. I remembered his eyes from earlier and fck, I'd hate it if I also have those twinkly fiction eyes. Sana hindi!

He looked at me longer than he should. He sipped on his cup of coffee before looking away.

"You just tick off one task from the jar," aniya.

I blinked. "What do you mean? May task ako to tell you that you're amazing? Self-service much?" I could tell him a lot more than that. Hindi niya kailangang ilagay as a task.

He chuckled in amusement. Nakasunod lang ako ng tingin.

"What?" ulit ko. "Don't tell me na meron nga? That's cheap, Callan. I don't expect that from you."

"Good because there's none like that. I mean there's a task to have coffee with me."

I raised a brow. "And you're telling me just now? Kanina pa tayo magkausap."

"I thought now's the right timing to tell you. It also said willingly."

"Oh. That's why you asked me out." I eyed him suspiciously. "But that also means that you just helped me finish a task from your jar."

"Not against the rules."

"Yeah." I licked my lips and tasted the strawberry in my lipgloss. "Are you getting impatient to kiss me?" I probed. "You can kiss me now . . ."

He looked at my lips first then smiled. "Rules are rules, Monique. And . . ."

"And?"

"I think it's time to go home. I don't want to keep you up until midnight."

I clicked my tongue. "Oh, come on. I'm not Cinderella. There's no carriage turning into a pumpkin soon."

"We also have class tomorrow," dagdag niya.

Oh, shoot. At baka may early training din pala siya. I checked my phone for time. It's 11:39. May message na rin si Mommy about our hotel room.

"Wait . . ." I said and typed a message.

| Ako: I'll be there after midnight. Are you still awake?

Mabilis bumalik ang reply niya.

| Mommy: I'll wait for you.

Ako: Do you want me to bring you anything? I'm at a coffee shop.

Mommy: No need. We can order room service here if you're hungry.

Ako: Not hungry.

Mommy: Are you really okay?

Ako: Yes. Later ~

When I looked at Callan, I found that he was looking at me. He might have watched the entire time I was on my phone. I smiled at him.

"Yeah," sabi ko. "We should go back."

"Ihatid na kita sa inyo."

"No need 'cause I won't go home tonight."

Kumunot ang noo niya ro'n. "Are you . . . going somewhere else after this?"