Death itself

Nope, this is not an angst or a major character death fic, but instead will be something I wrote from episode 9, The Queen of Diamonds and Tears.

Warning: In this one-shot, there will be changes from the actual episode, so if you notice something different then that's it.

Concept: How I imagined JoQueen during their fall in episode 9.

Credit: amysketchey

If there was something he was feeling right now then it was regret. Regret for not doing better, for not having noticed there was something wrong with his master, and regret for not checking up on two of the most important people of his life.

He unconsciously clenched the wrist he held as he felt his grip on the plane slightly waver. The harsh temperature and the violent waves of air hitting them worked against their favor. But even so, he was stuck in his thoughts.

He had been too occupied with being a phantom thief that he hadn't thought about visiting his master and Queen, one who was his mentor and the other who was his friend. Friend because she was that more than a rival, because he found her to be someone he wanted to work with, not work against. And while this was not completely his fault, the three of them were to blame and he should've still done better.

Something wet sliding on his cheek took him off his deep thoughts. His eyes widened as he saw Queen crying, as he saw the resolution and her will die off.

"Hey....", She croaked out," Let me go."

In disbelief, Joker forgot how to breathe for a second. Then he gripped her wrist tighter, determined to not have her let go. His eyes blazed with anger.

"You idiot! I've already told you that life is a treasure!-"

"That's why you should let me go!" Queen interrupted.

"Do you hear yourself right now?!"

"I know it sounds stupid! But...." Queen bit her lip while fat tears rolled down as far as they could before the violent breeze had them land on his cheek," Joker, my life is not the only one in danger, yours is as well. You're injured, we're about to fall soon and you know it. It's too late for me, but it's not for you. You can either save yourself or we both die."

"Then both of us will die."

Queen's eyes snapped toward his own, pure surprise written all over her expression.

"Joker-"

"I won't have you die like this. I won't have you suffer anymore."

Suddenly, he felt a sudden feeling of release. Joker cursed as he and Queen dropped rapidly toward the ground, Hachi and Roko's screams heard in the background. He felt a tremble and he glanced at Queen who silently cried as she looked at him, her hair flailing rapidly next to her..

"I'm sorry." Queen whispered. Joker only shook his head which was nearly impossible due to the pressure as they fell. "I should also apologize, for not being there for you or even just doing a quick visit."

"You were not obligated to do that, besides, you have your own life, it's only understandable that you were busy."

"I-"

"Stop. It wasn't your fault. None of this was. It was mine and mine alone so stop blaming yourself."

Joker pondered this for a second and then looked at their hands. Even while falling they held each other, almost like a lifeline.

A chuckle and he looked straight ahead past her head. Abruptly, his eyes grew like saucers and he gawked for a bit before he smiled in relief.

"QUEEN!"

The girl herself turned her neck to look in awe as her grandfather and his mentor came flying. Smile growing wide, the blond-haired girl gripped his hand tighter.

"Grandpa!"

The relief was obvious on his master's face, but that quickly changed to a look of determination.

"Joker!"

Quickly catching on to what his master meant, Joker grasped onto the rope that Queen previously had in hand and held tight as the rope successfully managed to rope itself onto the wing of the plane.

They both smiled as the plane successfully carried them both without any complications. As the sun began to rise in the horizon to announce a new day, they both glanced at each other one more time and Queen understood.

Risking his own life for hers, being by her side to what appeared to be the very end for both of them...

It was clear to her that at that precise moment, the only thing capable of separating them was death itself.

She smiled at him and he smiled back. With the day beginning anew so did she, but this time...

She would start walking again with someone she treasured by her side.

Quick note: I'm still not done fangirling over the fact that Joker and Queen were about to fall to their deaths all while never once letting go of each other.