First Friend and First Love

Many would assume that Spade was his first friend, when in fact, Queen had been the one he met and befriended first.

Actually, logically speaking, he did have friends prior to his involvement in being a phantom thief.

Did he like them? Yes.

Would he have considered them people he would've constantly interacted with had Professor Clover not done the atrocities he had done? Most likely not.

He was a child at the time and while knowing that his friends weren't in any way trying to harm him, he could see the glances they would send their parents every time. Not out of nervousness, but one seeking praises and congratulations. First time he had noticed he had brushed it off, but after the fourth time he realized that instead of truly wanting to be with him, they were following the orders of their parents who were with no doubt trying to establish a relationship with his family.

That was when he realized he had no friends. Instead of complaining about it, he kept a facade and kept acting as if everything was fine. He didn't really find any reason to rat them out to his parents who were already busy enough as it was. Besides, it was a bit fun to play with them and because of them his pranking habits were mastered to a T, so who was he to be angry?

Aside from his parents, he didn't have any relatives he could say he was close to. This was one of the factors that encouraged him to become a phantom thief. There would be no one who would miss him if he were to be gone.

That was until he started living with Silver Heart and his granddaughter, Queen.

Even with his outgoing and rowdy behavior, he had built walls around himself to protect himself from harm. He really had no intention of getting closer to anyone and losing them. Again.

Being a phantom thief, while it's a predicament that gives you a great surge of treasure, was undoubtedly dangerous. Time after time would a phantom thief be targeted by mercenaries either hired by a vengeful person having been victim to their schemes or any other skilled attacker who felt threatened by their presence. These people would with no doubt go as far as holding their loved ones hostage, something he never wanted happening to him anytime soon.

He acted normal toward both the man who became his master and the girl his age who had the same dream as him, yet... his desire to keep at least a minimal distance from them shattered quickly as he acknowledged that even with his mature mindset, he craved what any child his age would; human affection. And so, after a failed mission of distancing himself from Silver Heart and Queen, Joker came to adapt to the new and improved relationship he had with the two. And he was happy.

But then Silver Heart started taking part in heists and he found himself alone with Queen. It wasn't bad per say, but he became conscious that he was alone. With a girl.

Looking back, it wasn't a serious issue, but to younger Joker who had no experience with girls, it was nerve wracking. It was then that the inexperienced and somewhat nervous Joker developed a habit to tease the young girl (even more than he would) in order to conceal his feelings. Which worked brilliantly as he not only managed to save himself from her peering eyes, but also managed to find satisfaction in the slight flustered state she would be in once he teased her.

A secret young Joker swore he would take to his grave, but that was later used for teasing fuel against Queen was that he had found her cute in her flustered state.

(Queen chased him around the Sky Joker while blushing when he told her)

Either way, after those heists, Joker started seeing Queen in another light. Gone was Silver Heart's granddaughter and instead there was Queen who deeply cherished strawberry shortcake, Queen who loved the color pink, Queen who felt a great desire to become a phantom thief, and many other characteristics of her that would take time to list.

Having gotten to know her, Joker felt closer to Queen. He could relate to her in many ways be it in their common strong urge to eat big amounts of food to the fact that they didn't have their parents in their lives.

(Which she didn't know about as he didn't tell her until years later when they encountered each other again)

Experiencing a lot of happiness with them, Joker felt his life managing to balance itself once again. At least, until he and Queen had the idea to go on their first heist together. There, on that one heist, the balance that had been established in his life was quickly overpowered by the new existence that managed to weasel itself into their lives.

Spade as a child was unquestionably his worst enemy. He was the exact opposite of him in how he had a calm exterior and with how it was clear that he preferred to have an image of a calm and charming 'gentleman'. There were so many differences between him and Spade. One of them being their difference in relationship with Queen.

Joker would in no way admit that he felt a teensy itsy bit (a lie, a child has a tremendous response with jealousy) jealous of how Spade and Queen had an easy-going friendship. Whether it was because he felt his friendship with Queen was threatened or because his rivalry with Spade was just too strong, he did not know, but what he did know is that he had to balance his life again.

In the end, Spade was a great component that helped him realize that perhaps (100% guaranteed) Queen was someone who he deeply and unconsciously cared for as more than a friend.

It's not like he wanted to act on his feelings toward a certain blonde girl, but his teasing of her certainly helped to manifest a deeper wish to develop a more significant relationship with Queen.

That wish was forgotten once he officially became a phantom thief.

He explored many countries and experienced many cultures, traditions, delicacies, you name it. But of course, Joker also experienced the downsides of being someone who broke the law and went against the wishes of influential and powerful people.

Being wanted by the police and his life being targeted was definitely something that gave him no joy, it gave him a bittersweet taste, such as when the time came for him to confront the girl he heavily regarded as someone important to him.

Having to face off against her was definitely one of the worst things to happen to him. Forget being held hostage, having a loved one turn against you hits you right in the heart and leaves you in a lot of pain. That's how he felt along with the surprise at the many revelations that he learned.

Saving her was his breath of fresh air as he could feel his heart lighten at the prospect of finally living in a life with peace and truths revealed. Saving her was his true moment of realization as he came to realize that Queen, who was his first friend, also became his first love.

But love in the life of a phantom thief wasn't easy, there would be many challenges to face. And there was, hostage situations and many close calls to death occurred, but it was all worth it in the end.

Having been asked a question, Joker turned to the girl right beside him and grinned as he gave his answer. Queen, who was dressed up in a wedding dress with her hair elegantly pulled up, looked at him with a blinding smile on her face as she gave her answer as well. The phantom thief right between them on the altar, who just so happened to know how to play the role of priest in weddings, nodded his head.

"You may seal your union with a kiss."

As the cheers erupted all around from their close acquaintances and friends as Joker and Queen sealed their marriage, Joker happily contributed an ever beautiful and genuine smile to the girl who was and forever will be, his first friend and first love.

Author's Note: Have this one shot that I finished just now as I tried to will myself to sleep. There really isn't much to this one-shot other than the fact that I just thought, 'huh, now that I think about it, Queen can be said to be his first friend and first love.' which I will believe is true. Also, it seems that my KJ spirit hasn't actually disappeared as I'm finding myself motivated to start writing more for JoQueen, hence this one shot. Anyways, I must seriously head to bed as school is starting tomorrow and I am officially stepping inside my school building in what must be over a year. I am seriously not (and am) looking forward to tomorrow. Toodles and have a great day/night!