chapter twelve

the breakfast place is only down the street, so lev carried me the whole way.

"thanks, lev."

he pats my head in response as a waitress comes up to us.

"u-uh.." she stutters while looking at kuroo with hearts in her eyes. for real.

"are you okay..?" lev waves a hand near her face.

"i- sorry, follow me!" she snaps out of her trance and leads us to a booth. i sit in on the end, next to lev, as the waitress places menus down on the table and walks away.

"kuroo, do you know that girl?" morisuke questions as we look through the menus.

"i've seen her around school.."

"looks like there are more of them." i jerk my head towards the cash register, where our waitress is giggling with two other workers. girls, am i right.

we decide on what we're getting and signal the waitress back over. she comes back with one of her staff friends. she takes our orders before turning a fire hydrant red.

"u-um, kuroo~ ca-could i get your number~?" she twirls a lock of hair around her finger. that's so fucking embarrassing.

"no, sorry." kuroo simply replies. i quickly slap a hand over my mouth to keep in my laugh. the waitress looks like she's about to bawl her eyes out. her waitress friend reassures her while pushing her away from the table.

"bro, why'd you say no?" yamamoto exclaims while slapping him on the head.

"i don't need a girl getting in my way."

i look at him with raised eyebrows.

"no offense, atsuko."

i slowly nod and gesture 'i'm watching you' to him.

"that's so embarrassing. imagine getting rejected-" i start. kuroo looks at me with raised eyebrows.

"no offense, kuroo. all love, i swear."

a few minutes pass and a different, older, waitress comes out with our food.

"how's our other girl doing back there?" i question, wondering about the mental state of our previous waitress. the new waitress just blankly stares at me while putting the food down. lol. the boys thank her for the food and she returns to the back.

"kuroo, i think you were too harsh on her." i say as i take a bite of my egg.

"you think?" yamamoto snickers.

"she's definitely crying back there." kenma simply says.

"poor thing!" lev exclaims.

"let's just um.. forget that happened, yeah?" kuroo sighs.

"nah." yamamoto, kenma, lev, and i say in unison.

"someone should've recorded that." i take a sip of my drink.

"i did." kenma slides his phone to the middle of the table and presses play. i almost burst out laughing.

"kenma, delete it!" kuroo tries to take kenma's phone, but kenma snatches it off the table before he can do so.

"why."

"i don't want to embarrass her!"

"you already did, to this whole table."

"i did?" we nod. "holy shit.. i did."

"besides that, what do you guys wanna do after this?" morisuke questions after wiping his hands on a napkin.