~3~

"And James Mirning's' party shall last until four in the morning, Evelyn, but we are going to send Janus home by nine while we stay," Janus's' father was explaining to his wife while Janus sat quietly at the dinner table, eating politely.

Evelyn Adders frowned a little. "Won't Janus get bored alone, though, Micheal?"

Micheal Adders blinked. "I'm sure he won't. He can practise his piano while we're staying at the Mirning household. Isn't that right, Janus?"

Janus nodded calmly. "Yes, Daddy."

"See, Evelyn? He'd love to practise his piano. He might even be able to perform a piece again for us soon," Micheal smiled.

Evelyn beamed at her son. "I'd love to hear one of your pieces soon, darling. Maybe next week, what do you think, Micheal?"

Micheal winced. "I'm afraid not next week, my love. I've got a trip to the mainland with Sir Hestling to meet the Queen. Afterwards, though, I'm sure I can squeeze in a few minutes."

Janus glanced up hopefully but Evelyn shook her head. "No, Micheal, I won't be home the week after your trip. If you remember, Lady Mirning and I are going to visit Janus's' sisters at their school. It's a small event, of course, but it'll be nice to see the girls again."

"Ah," Grimaced Janus's' father. He turned to look sadly at his son. "I'm sorry, darling, maybe next month."

Janus nodded calmly. "That's alright, Daddy. I don't mind."

Evelyn beamed at him. "That's nice of you, darling. Anyway, Micheal, do you want me to give the girls anything when I see them?"

As the conversation started again between his parents, Janus finished his food, got up and left. They didn't notice.

Virgil tiptoed quietly up the stairs, trying not to let his feet make too much of a noise. It wasn't that the stairs creaked at all in the house. He just knew that one loud noise would get him caught and in trouble. Sneaking his way to the top floor, he approached Janus's' room. He knocked quietly on the door and it swung up silently.

In the darkness, Virgil could make out the silhouette of his friend beckoning him in. Janus closed the door behind him when Virgil entered and went over to the window, throwing open the curtains to let the moonlight stream in and light up the room. The silver gleam made him look even better and Virgil resisted the urge to glare jealously. Obviously, he was happy Janus was so pretty but, sometimes, he wanted to be something too.

 "By the gods, you took a long time," Janus teased, sitting on the window ledge. "Was old Cook waiting to catch you or something?"

"Yeah, that woman's a witch," Virgil smiled, perching lightly on the bed.

Janus sighed loudly. "I could get Daddy to fire her if you wanted. I'm sure he'd do it, he always listens to me."

Virgil was glad the moonlight didn't fully light his face, so Janus didn't notice that he'd seen through the facade. "Nah, she's useful sometimes. Runs the household more than the rest of them, we need her around."

The noble boy shrugged. "If you say so." He turned to look out of the window. "The stars are pretty, aren't they? Like white diamonds..."

Humming in agreement, Virgil shifted back slightly on the bed to get a better view out of the window. It was cloudless, with a large, full moon that shone down on the gardens below it. Each star beamed from the black sky, twinkling and shimmering from far away. And, although the sky was breathtaking, the gardens were captivating.