~10~

I apologise for how short this chapter is! qwq

Janus's parents didn't ask Janus if he was okay until two days later, at afternoon tea.

It wasn't their fault. They were busy. The conversation was short and his mother fretted over him a little. Janus excused himself early and went outside to cry.

He didn't like crying. It made him feel ugly and childish. His sisters had never cried; why did he? Virgil hadn't seen him cry before. He might've heard him but he had never seen him. It was probably better that way.

Janus sat in half-shade, the noon sun beating warm on one side of his face.

"Stupid, stupid, stupid," He muttered, rubbing at his eyes that didn't stop the onslaught of tears. He was shaking and his breath caught too many times in his throat. At least he wasn't sniffling. That would've made it more embarrassing every time a gardener or house servant passed him. He could feel them looking but no one moved to comfort him. That was okay. He was fine, anyway.

He was just crying for no reason. There was no reason to be upset, so he was fine.

Someone blocked the sun that was falling on him and they stuck their hand in his peripheral vision. Janus jumped, looking up.

"I'm trying to help you up," Said Logan Croft, looking at him pitifully. "I didn't mean to surprise you."

Janus stared at him for a bit, then looked away. "You didn't surprise me," He mumbled. "I'm fine, anyway."

Logan hesitated then sat down next to the noble's son. There was a long pause, then he asked, "Were you... crying?"

"It was stupid, honestly," Janus hissed, glaring at a pebble in the shade. "I don't have anything to cry over. Why are you even here? My father doesn't have any meetings with your father. Not that I know of, I think..."

Logan drew his knees up under his chin, humming slightly. "Well... my butler, Patton, heard through some of your servants that you fell into a river after the party. I asked my mother if I could come here so I could check you were okay."

Janus glanced at him, then mimicked his pose. "Oh, yeah. That. I think I fainted, then fell into a river. Remu- I mean, a stablehand managed to save my life by pulling me out of the river and getting the water out of my lungs."

The other didn't answer for a long time, but then put a hand on Janus's shoulder, like he was giving him a hug. "Is that why you were crying?"

"I... I'm not sure why I'm crying. There's nothing to cry about."

"You nearly drowned. Seems like a pretty good reason to cry."

Janus shook his head, breathing out with a sigh. "I'm fine. Hey, do you know how to play the piano?" He pushed his legs down, trying a smile. "We've got some pianos inside."

"You're changing the subject, aren't you?"

Janus didn't answer. He stood up and started walking away, sticking his hands in his pockets. He walked through the garden, passing several servants who hadn't helped him earlier. He didn't shout or scold them. He just walked towards the stables, keeping his head high but his eyes n the floor.

The stables smelt just as bad as last time. The noble boy hesitated when it came to knocking on the door but the doors flung open before he had to make a decision.

"Hey," Remus grinned at him. "You're looking beautiful."

Janus smirked. "And you're looking horrible. Can I come in?"