Chapter One

I stare down at my hands in bored inquisition as the minutes of my part time job at Bronston's Bookstore slowly crawl away. I love working for Mr. Bronston, I really do, but when there were no customers to associate with, it was a great boredom. Unfortunately, with a family of three to support and a mother who can hardly get out of bed without toppling over, I have to put my needs aside to provide for theirs. Now more than ever, as my father had walked out on us less than five months earlier.

"Sofia!" Mr. Bronston calls. "Would you mind giving me a hand?"

I glance wearily at the clock. I have twenty minutes remaining here before I have to run to my next job. "Just a minute Mr. Bronston!" I call back, hurrying from my seat.

When I enter the small clustered room I was surprised to see Mr. Bronston hunched over a small stool picking up broken shards of glass. I hurry over to assist him, pulling him to his feet and setting him comfortably on the minute sofa before picking up where he had left off. Mr. Bronston was a kindhearted old man. He was very understanding and appreciative of everything that his employees did. No matter how small. And that's why I like working for him. Well that, and because he pays a generous months' wage.

I stand and look at him when I'm finished. "Will you be alright?" He nods and says thank you. "My pleasure," I say before leaving.

I close the door gently behind me and spin around to get back to my station when I run into a solid brick wall. I step back but I have nowhere to go. My back bumps into the door with a soft thud. I shake my head lightly, looking blindly at the object standing in my way. It turned...ever so slowly. A man. No, a very young and incredibly handsome man. About nineteen. He is tall, very tall, all lean muscle. He gazes impassively down at me and frowns. He backs away slightly then helps me off the door. "My apologies," he says intelligently, "I didn't see you there. Are you alright?"

For a second I forgot to breathe. Forgot to think. Wow...he's gorgeous. I lick my suddenly dry lips and flush in embarrassment. "No, I mean yes. I'm fine." I extend a hand to him and I have no idea why I did but the moment he grips my hands with his large, surprisingly soft ones I didn't regret it one bit.

He releases my hand and looks down at my blouse. At my name tag. "Sofia," he says in a husky undertone. I blush once more. He says my name with such passion, like it belongs to him, like I belong to him and only him. "it's a pleasure to meet you."

Suddenly shy, I shrink back a little. "Same here." I say. "Is there anything I can help you with?"

"No," he frowns then smiles. My heart skips a beat. Such a beautiful smile. "Actually yes."

I sink my hands into my back pockets. "How may I be of assistance?"

He visibly relaxes. He brings forth a book I hadn't noticed before. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Oh...interesting. "You're an adventurer?" I ask.

He shrugs. "You can say that."

Okay. "What do you need my help with?"

He has the decency to blush. Slightly. "The price...where is it?"

I look at him like he has grown two heads then look him over. Quickly, but memorizing every single detail of his worn out jeans and plain white T-shirt. Very simple, yet he looks so sexy... so humble... so impecunious. I like him immediately. "It's on the inside cover." I reply. He looks, frowns, then shakes his in amusement. I fold my hand across my chest. "It's not that expensive Mr...er...what is your name?"

He regards me shrewdly for a moment. "Daniel," he says watching me intently like I am supposed to know something.

"Well...Daniel, we have a ten percent discount on all books up until tomorrow. So, you're in luck."

He shakes his head. "Um-hm." He is amused I can tell.

"Is something the matter?" I ask, moving towards the cash register to cash his book.

"No. But would you buy this book?"

I stare at him for a moment. "No Daniel I wouldn't."

"Why?"

That is none of your business.

"Because I have better things to do with my money than waste it on a book that isn't necessary."

He frowns. Why is he always frowning? "I don't want the book then."

What? So much for me and my big mouth! I am supposed to be winning customers not chasing them away. "That's not necessary. It's just..." What should I say? I can't indulge in such fantasies because I have a family to provide for? No, that's none of his business. "I'm not a big fan of money Daniel. I don't like to spend it and I don't like to waste it. And I don't want to talk about it." Not when the whole reason is because of my dad and his greediness. He is so obsessed with money, so delusional, that he thought we sought to take the money he had won in the lottery for ourselves.

I glanced at the clock and saw that my shift was over. I called Charlie to take over for me while I ran to the back and changed. I picked up my bag and ran to my next job.

I pushed the double doors open breathlessly and caught my breath. I saw that the kitchen staff were already standing in a line for roll-call. I joined them, trying to steady my breathing.

"Sofia?"

"H-here."

The Head Chef paced back and forth until he was finished. The staff proceeded to their various tasks and I was going to change into my uniform when the Head Chef called my attention.

"Sofie chérie, I need you to fill in next Saturday. Can you make it?"

I usually didn't work at the restaurant on weekends but when I did, I always got a generous bonus and tips. "Yeah."

"Wonderful!"

I changed my clothes and put on my hairnet. I put on the gloves and started washing the piles of dishes and dirty cutlery.

A few hours later, I opened my front door and was greeted by a mess for a living room. My two younger brothers were asleep on the carpet and there was food all over the place. I ushered them off to bed and cleaned up. After another exhausting day of school and work I was more than happy to reacquaint myself with my bed.

~~

First off, I'M SORRY FOR THE EXCRUCIATINGLY LONG WAIT . I know you guys don't deserve this treatment.

Second: Thank you @Toxiccupid for helping me get this book up and running! ☺ So you should go check out her book!

Third: Leave your lovely thoughts in the comments section below. ⬇⬇⬇

And finally: Thank you so much for supporting my book! ❤❤❤