Chapter 6 - Jealousy

A/N - Sorry for the slow update. Comment with you thoughts.

Draco's POV

Draco sat at the end of the bed in his room, thinking about what had happened that day. He grimaced at the thought that he might actually care for Hermione, and mentally slapped himself for thinking such a thing. It was just starting to get dark as he sat, remembering how he had felt when he looked into her deeply saddened, green eyes. For some reason unknown to himself, Draco was glad that he was the one to comfort her.

He walked to the window and looked out of it. A canopy of luminous stars stretched out across the sky and reflected on the surface of the Black Lake. The surrounding trees stood still, as dark as charcoal, surrounding the water.

His thoughts were interrupted when there was a quiet knock on the door. He opened it to of course, find none other than Hermione. He waited for her to stop staring at him and say something.

'Hello.' She finally said.

'Yes?' He replied lethargically, holding back a smile at her simplicity.

'I... uh never said thank you for everything earlier and I'm sorry about Ron.' She sounded sincere and her cheeks grew red as she remembered his eavesdropping. Draco, clearly thinking the same, couldn't hold back his laughter any longer.

'It isn't funny!' She yelled, laughing. 'Are you going to dinner? I'm going now if you want to walk with me.' She seemed somewhat nervous to even ask.

'Sure.' He replied.

They left their common room and headed towards the Great Hall. There wasn't a single person in the hall that didn't stare as they walked in together. Loud whispers filled the room. Pansy looked at them as if she wanted to kill Hermione for even standing close to Draco.

'I'll see you later.' Draco said as he went and took his seat at the Slytherin table, next to Pansy. He watched Hermione sit next to Harry and noticed that Ron wasn't there.

'What are you doing hanging around that filth.' She spat venomously, emphasising her hatred towards Hermione.

'What's it to you?' He replied bitterly. She remained quiet and they sat, not speaking, until the end of dinner.

'Where's Goyle?' He finally asked breaking the silence, as they started walking towards the exit.

'He's... in the common room. Wasn't feeling too well.' She rambled.

'Alright.' He said, eyeing her suspiciously.

They walked out of the Great Hall and Pansy barged straight into Hermione, pushing her to the ground. She kept walking as Harry helped Hermione to her feet.

'Pansy!' Harry yelled. 'What in hell are you doing?' He was livid.

'She got in my way.' She said simply, not caring.

Draco opened his mouth to ask Hermione if she was alright but was interrupted by Pansy.

'Come on Draco.' Pansy said seductively, grabbing his arm and pulling him with her. 'She's nothing but a mudblood.'

'Don't call her that.' He said calmly.

'What?' She asked confused.

'I said don't call her that!'

Pansy winced, before she walked away, glaring at Hermione as she went. She pushed her way through the crowd that had circled around them and disappeared.

'What are you all looking at?!' He exclaimed, angry.

Professor McGonagall walked hurriedly out of the hall towards them. As soon as they saw her, the crowd scattered off into different directions.

'What is going on here?'

'I... um... I fell.' Hermione said unconvincingly.

'She didn't fall.' Draco stated. 'Pansy pushed her.'

'Is this true?' McGonagall asked Hermione. She nodded.

'Very well. Miss Bulstrode!' She called to a confused looking Mallicent. McGonagall told her to tell Pansy that she is wanted in her office first thing the next morning.

'Now... all of you back to your common rooms.'

'Thank you.' Hermione muttered gratefully to Draco as she left with Harry.

'Come with me Mr Malfoy. I have something for you.'

They walked to her office, the office that formerly belonged to Professor Albus Dumbledore.

'Animagus.' She said and they entered the headmistress's office.

'This arrived for you just before dinner, with strict instruction that I give it to you personally.' She handed him a small, golden-brown envelope. Who would be writing to me? He wondered.