Just Run

Could you please comment and tell me what to improve on? 

Thanks,

KT                                    

Chapter 1: Interview

“Your appointment is at four, do not be late Jeana Manson” my mom said from behind a big hardcover book that read Cells and Plant Organisms.

“I have to walk?” I said baffled, the police station was ten minutes driving, it would take almost an hour to walk, plus it was wolf season. 

“Fresh air will do you good, besides I have to go to my clinic and then head to the supermarket.” Mom really never got over Carol, she has been going to clinics for a year, I knew today would be hard on her.

“What about dad?” I asked. He is usually around on Saturdays. Only Saturdays. 

“He’s coming with me to the clinic and then working over time at the office” mom said without so much as peeking over her book. 

He was working over time, what a shock. He worked over time a lot, I think he used work to get rid of the situations at home, which explains why he’s almost never home anymore. 

He has never once went to a clinic though, he would always make up excuses to not to go. He likes to think that he doesn’t have a problem with it, I know he just being tough for mom, but I wish he would show some emotion. 

I glanced over at the clock, 1:59, one minute till the cow would pop out of the center of the clock and moo. Tick, Tick, Tick, MOO! I scuffed at it, I used to think that the cow popping out was a magical event that happened every hour, but now it was just a pain in the ass. Every time I ask my mother to get rid of it she replies “Someday you’ll miss that old clock.” I would never miss something that annoying.

Grabbing my pull over sweater I headed out the door, walking into the cold autumn weather. The red and orange leaves were just beginning to fall onto the cold surface below. I was the only one to notice the changing leaves, everyone else in my family was to occupied with Carol right now. She was all they ever thought about, talked about, cared about. Suddenly I didn’t matter anymore. 

In all the books I have read, in all the questionsI have asked, not a soul, told me how to deal with being forgotten. I didn’t realize how truly forgotten I really was until the day I sat at school for three hours waiting for a ride home. My parents had ensured me that it was a common mistake, so common that it would happen three times a week. There were different excuse for every time they were late.

“I had to get the dry cleaning.”

“Kassi was being impatient, so I had to get her ice cream.” 

Oh yes, there were many excuses, each time was a different one. I’m certain they had forgotten about me, and then on the 20 minute drive to the school they thought of an excuse to make it seem like they cared about me. 

I understood perfectly why they were so upset about her, its been a year now, everyone is still saddened by all of this, especially James. 

James had totally slipped my mind. They truly were the unstable cheerleader-dating-football-quarter-back-couple you always see in the movies. However she loved him, I knew that from the most recent entry in Carol’s diary. I know that looks bad, looking in her diary, but I wanted to know everything possible about her life, and so did the police. They allowed me to read her diary and tell them everything important with the case. I thought it would be much less embarrassing for her, considering she did know some of the cops that work at the police office.