CHAPTER 11: Family Reunions

Start from the beginning

"Is that what you did to her?" I ask, eyes cold.

"No, that's what I did to him," Jean cuts in. "As his assistant I had access to all of his materials. Everything. I think you can draw your own conclusions from that."

"Caleb died during a show," Willie reminds me as if I didn't already know. I think he said that because we are both trying to process how their could be someone worse than Caleb.

"Y-you murdered him?" I question in shock. I don't blame her, but was Caleb always this way? Or did Jean, the woman Willie and I thought could save us turn him into what he is?

"Aren't you a smart cookie," she comments smiling condescendingly. "To think that you thought that I would help you."

"You know?" I ask, my eyes widening. This has to be a nightmare. I pinch myself, confirming that this is real.

"Of course I know," she responds, blue eyes sparkling with delight. "I've known the whole time, dear. It's been fun watching you scramble about, though I am disappointed that you weren't better at covering your tracks. Hiding things under your mattress? Really? I didn't expect such a rookie. The maid found your things immediately."

My face burns with shame.

"What are you going to do to us?" Willie speaks up, agitated by our situation.

"Nothing," she says, pulling out a cigar and lighting it. Jean must have powers because I see no matches. She puffs it and holds it lazily between her fingers, teasing us. "We're going to let you continue your little charade."

"Then why bring us down here?" I ask her, confused. "Why not keep it a secret that you know everything?"

"We just want you to know who's really in control," Jean answers, tapping her cigar with her index finger. Ash rains down on us. "And tell a little tale."

"Please tell me you aren't about to sing some villainous song that makes the audience cringe," I mumble.

"My songs are wonderful!" Caleb replies, offended.

"But no, we aren't singing," Jean clarifies. "Covington, would you like to begin?"

"Sure," he says. "Adelaide, how much do you know about your father's grandparents?"

I furrow my eyebrows. "My grandfather was adopted. His parents were both dead by the time he was a year old."

"Mhmmm." Caleb waved his hand, prompting me to go on.

"Why is this important?" I ask impatiently. "Aren't you supposed to answer my questions?"

"I am," Caleb says. "I'm answering them with more questions."

He smirks and quirks an eyebrow.

I roll my eyes and glance over to Willie. He gives me a look as if to say you better not be thinking of something stupid. I shake my head lightly.

Then something hits me. "Did you kill them?"

"In a manner of speaking, yes," Jean replies with a chuckle. "But not how you're thinking."

"I'm not sure she's ready," Caleb says to her, widening his eyes.

"Ready for what?" I snap.

"We have to make sure it's the right time," Caleb continues. Jean cuts her eyes over at him, narrowing them into slits.

"Adelaide, have any unusual powers shown up?" Jean interrogates me, so close I choke from the smoke. "Let me remind you that we already know about some of them, so hiding the truth won't go well for you."