Chapter 26

Christopher and I didn't get muchsleep tonight. We were on the couchwatching tv. I checked the time on myphone and it read three a.m. "Hey," I whispered crawling acrossthe couch to Christopher's ear. I saw himlook at me from the corner of his eye. Icontinued. "Let's do something crazy." Heshot a guilty looking smile at me and thenshot up like a bullet. He dug for his keysfrom in between the couch cushions whilestill holding that same smile on his face. Heunlocked the apartment door and I watchedhim walk out, leaving the apartment dooropen so that the apartment door filled theearly morning crisp air. A few short secondslater, he popped his head back in."Are you coming?" He asked. I smiledand made my way to the door. We tried tobe as quiet as possible going down thesteps. We giggled violently on the way tothe car and then giggled some more when Iaccidently closed the car door too loud. Ihad no idea where we were going, but Itrusted Christopher's tuition. I watched as Christopher turned hissteering wheel into the church I attendedwhen I was younger, and became confused."Your idea of wild is praying?" Iquestioned."You said you wanted to dosomething spontaneous." He responded."I said wild. This is church. What's sowild about church?" He answered myquestion that time with a kiss. Wecontinued to kiss, forgetting that we wereat God's house. I paused in the middle ofour snogging because a cold chill ran downmy spine. I climbed over the center consoleto fetch the emergency throw we keep inthe trunk, but Christopher managed to gethis tubby self to the backseat as he tackledme. We started to kiss again, getting a bitcarried away. He covered us with theblanket and then removed his pants then Iremoved mine and for the next few minutes,we were sinners; underage, unmarried, and in the pathfinder in the parking lot of God'shouse.I moved my eyes towards the windowwhen I thought I saw headlights, but thenChristopher thrusted again and my eyesclosed in pleasure. We heard a knock on thewindow and stopped, my eyes growingwide."What's wrong?" Christopher asked.The knock came again and Christopher gotoff and turned towards the window,jumping out of his skin when we saw apolice officer and Reverend. We were bothsitting up in the backseat, embarrassed.Christopher rolled down the window."Morning, Sir,' said Christopher."Mornin'" The officer had a strongsouthern accent. "What y'all doin' at thesehours of the night?" He asked, trying toseem oblivious to our actions."I...we...I.." Christopher couldn'tspeak. I tried to hide behind him, butReverend still saw me. "LeighAnn? LeighAnn?" He called. "Isthat really you?" I nodded my head. Helaughed kind of angrily and then spokeagain. "Did you just...? Outside of the Lord'shouse? You should be ashamed!" He yelled,and then reached into his pocket andsplashed some water on me. "You and yourfamily will never step foot onto thesepremises again! Devil be gone!" Herepeated over and over until the officer cuthim off."Alright you two, put some clothes onand go home, before I call your parents."The officer demanded, though I knew mymom would be getting a phone call anywayfrom Reverend. I huffed then Christopherand I dressed and found our way back upfront."Can I drive?" I asked, knowing that Ididn't have a license or even my permit.Christopher knew this too but he stillagreed, probably from sleep deprivation orsomething. We swapped sides and he led me through the process of backing up andthen we were off. I drove for a minute whileChristopher dozed off. I didn't know how toturn so I became anxious and smashed headon into a ginormous oak tree. The collisionwas enough to jolt Christopher wide awake.He dropped the f bomb a couple hundredtimes and then grabbed his phone, hittingthe flashlight app. He got out and I followedhim.The damage to the front of thepathfinder was awful, but we were okayand the airbags on the interior never wentoff. Christopher tugged on his hair out ofstress. He called his mom, placed his phoneon the crumbled pathfinder hood, and puther on speaker. She answered despite thehour of the night."Are you okay?" she asked. I couldtell that the phone call had woken her up."No, well, yes, well, I'm okay.LeighAnn's okay, but the car isn't okay. Wehad a little accident...we ran into a tree." "Geez, Christopher. Where are you?"He looked around for a second."Maybe, six feet away from BethanyBaptist Church.""Okay, I'm on my way." She saidbefore hanging up. I started crying as wewaited for her."Don't do that." Christopher said,coming over to comfort me."I don't want to go to jail." I saidthrough sobs.It's okay, I'll tell them it was me." Heresponded, pulling me into a hug. I dried mytears as his mom and the same officer thatcaught us before pulled up."You two again?" The cop asked."Again?" Christopher's mom said.Christopher had a look on his face thatscreamed 'yikes!'"What happened?" His mom and theofficer asked at the same time."I was driving home, and I dozed offand then I lost control." Christopher lied. I thanked God for his fib. Before sayinganything else about the crash, the officerasked Christopher's mom who she was."Oh good, you two can go home withher and let her know what was really goingon." He responded, then turned toChristopher and asked for his license andregistration. Christopher gave those to himthen his mom looked at us real angry. Shewas waiting for us to say something,Christopher and I both tried avoiding eyecontact with her."Hello?" She asked. We both lookedat her. "Are you going to tell me what youwere doing?" Neither one of us saidanything but continued to stare at her. Theofficer returned and spoke for us."If you kids don't tell her, I will." Hesaid. We still didn't budge but my bodytensed. The officer looked at us then atChristopher's mom. "They decided thatthey wanted to be adults for the night." Heexplained. "Come again?""Jesus!" Christopher shouted. "Wehad sex!""Keep going," the officer encouraged."Tell her where." Christopher inhaled andthen whispered."In the car, outside of BethanyBaptist." His mom rubbed her face with herhands."Christopher Griffin!" She yelled thencounted down from three to calm herself."In the church parking lot, what were youthinking?" Christopher shrugged."We wanted to do somethingspontaneous.""Spontaneous huh? I've gotsomething spontaneous for you. How aboutsleeping in separate rooms tonight? How'sthat for spontaneous?" She was angry."You can't do that!" Christopherdemanded."Yes, I can. You two are coming homewith me and you can sleep in your bedroom and she can sleep on the couch."Christopher crossed his arms."What if she sneaks in?""I'll know." She was right too. Theway their house is set up, getting toChristopher's room requires walkingthrough his mom's room."What if I want to go to theapartment?" I cried."Then you can walk there, let's go.""What about my car?" Christopherasked."I already called the tow truck," theofficer said. "Is there anywhere specific thatyou'd like it towed too?""Nope, I'm ready to go.""Well, if you leave the carunattended, they'll tow it to an impoundlot." The officer explained. Christophernodded his head and walked away to thepassenger side of his mom's car and gotinside, waiting for us to join him. The officerbid us farewell and we went about our days.