Jet, Jasmine, and Juveniles

The next couple of weeks passed uneventfully, until Zuko ran into Jet on his way to fifth period.
"Zuzu," Jet drawled. He'd picked up the nickname from Azula the year before. Zuko rolled his eyes and stepped back, needing to put space between them.
"What do you want, Jet?" Zuko said curtly. Jet feigned heartbreak.
"Am I not allowed to check up on you anymore?"
"I don't know why you'd want to," Zuko answered, crossing his arms. Jet put an arm up and leaned against the locker to get a better look at Zuko.
"I haven't seen you all year," he said, ignoring Zuko's comment, "Where have you been?"
"None of your business," Zuko tried to step around him, but Jet blocked his path.
"You don't wanna ignore me, Zuko," he said, losing his easy charm momentarily. Zuko was suddenly too aware of the empty hallway. The bell was about to ring, so most of the students had cleared out to their classes.
"You look good," Jet went on, examining Zuko's jawline.
"Thanks, I've really gotta get to class," Again, Zuko moved to step around his ex. To his relief, Jet let him go this time. Zuko bolted as soon as he rounded the next corner and only slowed as he reached his classroom.

When Zuko got back to Iroh's house and went to toss his bag upstairs, he found a clean and pressed white apron sitting on his bed. The loopy green lettering just above the pocket read 'The Jasmine Dragon.' Zuko snatched the apron and raced downstairs.

"Uncle, what's this?" He demanded, holding the apron up by his face. Iroh turned to Zuko with a warm smile and calm demeanor.
"I thought it was time you came back to the tea shop, Zuko. You need something to do in your free time, stop spending so much time worrying about your sister." Zuko shook his head. He was frustrated, but he couldn't figure out why.
"It'd just be awkward. What if the customers deadname me?" He asked.
"They won't," Iroh promised, "I already corrected everyone. Plus, you'll have a name tag!" As if he'd known this conversation would happen, Iroh held up a little metal name tag with Zuko's name on it. Zuko wanted to argue, to make another excuse for why this was a bad idea, but Iroh was right. He needed something, anything to take his mind off school, especially after today.
"Okay," he breathed, barely audible over the fan blowing over the lit stovetop. Iroh must've heard it anyway, because he brightened and reached over the counter to slap Zuko on the back.
"That's the spirit!" He beamed. Zuko smiled at him and sat down as his uncle poured each of them a cup of tea.

Zuko braced for the worst as he walked into school the next day. However, as he stepped into the building he was stopped by a familiar short girl with messy black hair and clouded eyes.
"Toph?"
"The one and only," She grinned at him, "The others wanna see you. They've been thinking a lot about what you said a few weeks ago."
"Are you sure it's about what I said?" He asked, though he couldn't get rid of the prickle of hope flaring in his chest.
"Okay, maybe it had something to do with what I told them after you talked to me," She turned heel and headed off without waiting to see if Zuko was following.
Toph led Zuko to the back corner of the library where Aang, Sokka, and Katara were lounging on the floor. Katara immediately stood at their approach, causing the others to jump.
"You actually brought him?" She demanded, killing the spark of hope Zuko had felt a moment ago. He was ready to turn and leave when Aang srang up to step between Toph and Katara.
"It's okay Katara, I asked her to," he explained. He did?
"I know you did but," Katara paused and glanced from Zuko to Aang's pleading expression, "Fine," she huffed. Zuko almost let out a sigh of relief before Aang turned to him.
"Toph says you were sincere when you apologized the other week." Zuko nodded and Aang continued.
"I've always been taught to forgive, it was just hard after what happened."
"You don't need to forgive me," Zuko interrupted, "I know what I did was, well. . . bad," the word didn't hold enough weight to describe Zuko's behavior, but it was the only one he could think of, "But I needed you to know that I'm not that person anymore."
"I know you're not," Aang said, sincerity lacing his words, "That's why I wanted to ask if you'd like to hang out with us? Whenever you're free?" Zuko nearly stumbled backwards. He sputtered for a moment before managing, "What?" Aang and Toph laughed while Sokka covered his mouth to suppress a chuckle. Meanwhile Katara stood still, a rigid stone among the group.
"Only if you want to, of course," Aang added once he'd recovered. Zuko opened his mouth, but it was another moment before he could speak.
"I-I shouldn't. After what I put you through? I mean, of course I want to but-"
"Great! How's Friday sound?" Zuko shut his mouth and nodded, his head cloudy with disbelief.

The next thing Zuko knew, the bell had sounded and Aang waved as he headed off to his first class. Zuko stood, frozen in place as students filed out around him. What the hell had he just agreed to? This had to be a prank, or some kind of revenge scheme. But the more Zuko thought about it, the more ridiculous that sounded. His stomach churned as he flipped between anxiety, excitement and guilt. The only thing he could do was wait for the end of the week to arrive.