Chapter 3: Animal House

Start from the beginning

We find him at home with Gobber.

"There's a big storm coming." He starts, but I cut him off.

"We know. My eyes are stinging and we can hear Bucket screams."

"Anyway, we could be locked in. Not be able to hunt or fish for months."

"What are we supposed to do? We can't control the weather." We say together.

"No, but you can control dragons. If they don't stop scaring the animals, we won't have any provisions to live on"

Bucket and Mulch come in with a milk bucket.

"Ah. Any luck?" Dad says.

"Not a drop. And this is after yanking on that poor yak for 3 hours. " Mulch says

"Well it's not like they're trying to be scary. They don't even eat farm animals. They eat fish."

"True, but they're huge, breath fire, and now that we have peace, they're everywhere. The animals are terrified." Gobber explains.

"Here's where you both jump in and say, 'I'll fix this.' " Dad says.

"Ok but how long do we have?" Hiccup asks.

"About a week." Mulch says.

"Well that's more than enough time."

"From my eyes, I'd say around 3 to 4 days." I say as Bucket screams again.

"Correction, 3 days, 6 hours." Mulch corrects.

"Ok less time That may be more of a problem." Hiccup says.

The few days, we're all in the arena with 3 yaks, 4 sheep and a few chickens. My eyes sting more and more every hour and it's hard to hold back the tears. I'm lying down on Vision's back so no one can see. The noise isn't helping my eyes and no progress is being made. I quickly flew off on Vision and I let the tears out. I get to the Great Hall and just hold onto Vision, who curls around me. I hear the snow and rain pelt the hall. Everyone's inside and I slowly start to drift off, the pain really tired me out.

The doors suddenly open and the fires dim.

"Move those tables against the doors." Dad orders, but as soon as the doors close, Gobber rushes in yelling,

"Stoick, the barn's been destroyed. The animals are scattered."

"Where are Hiccup and the others?" Dad says and I move over to listen in.

"I tried to stop em, Stoick, but they went after the animals."

"And I'm going after them." I announce from Vision's back. The doors open to let Mulch in with 2 yaks.

"I caught these two. I figured at least with these, we'd be able to start a new herd."

"You might want to take another look, Mulch." Gobber says as he and Dad follow Vision and I outside. Vision takes off and starts tracking them. I hear them and Gobber scream,

"Do I look like a yak to you?"

"No, Gobber. You look completely different to me." I say.

"Thank you, Nara. Wait." Gobber stops. I land with the others and Dad says,

"You shouldn't be out here, Hiccup."

"Dad, I'm sorry I let you down." Hiccup says.

"It's not your fault. I'm taking you back."

"Which way?" asks Gobber.

"Follow our tracks." Dad says.

"So much for that idea." Gobber comments.

"Sir, what do we do know." Fishlegs asks. I hear all the teens shivering.

"Body heat. Let's all huddle around." I say.

"Everyone, come together." Dad says.

We all huddle together and I hear Toothless and Vision call to the other dragons. I hear footsteps and purring from the dragons as they get closer and spread their wings out, shielding us, as best they can.

"What are they doing?" asks Dad.

"They're protecting us." Hiccup says.

"It's their natural instinct." chorus Astrid and I.

The dragons then fire at the snow, keeping us warm and toasty. Toothless then leaves and from the sound of it, brings a sheep into the circle of dragons. Seeing that one sheep is fine, the other animals come from around us and enter the circle.

"Your dragons are really something, kids." Dad says.

"Yeah they really are." We say together.

The next morning, a chicken laid an egg and we made our way back to the Great Hall with the animals. We get inside and announce the good news. Everyone cheers. We stay inside for the next couple days. Then we dig ourselves out and we're back to our normal lives.

(A/N: This was a bit of a shorter chapter, but I still hope you enjoyed it. Please have a great day, drink your water and smile, cause you're never fully dressed without a smile! Anyway please tell me what you think of the book and I can't wait to hear from you all.)