I walked inside the house and noticed my mother was in the kitchen cutting the crusts off my sandwich like she always did when I got out of school.

"Hey ma.." I said putting my bookbag down.

"Hey Leya, Wash your hands so you can get your snack. I have something to talk to you about.." She said, I nodded and went into the half-bathroom we had located by the door.

I washed my hands and then walked inside the dining room. I sat down in front of my mother and grabbed my sandwich and started eating. "So, I want to talk to you about something.." She said, I eyed her and ate my sandwich.

"About what?" I asked chewing my sandwich.

"How's school going? Are you understanding the work?" She asked, I nodded.

"Yeah, I'm actually doing pretty well. I mean, I don't like my teachers but other than that I'm doing well with my work.." I informed, she nodded.

"And friends?" She asked.

"Jareem's been cool. He wants to know can you send him some of what we having for dinner tomorrow.."

"I can.." She said. "I want you to start studying for your learners so I can teach you to drive because I don't want you on that bus anymore. Your too old to be riding that bus and also to old to be getting your sandwiches cut after school.." She added, I rolled my eyes.

"I didn't ask to be on that bus and I didn't ask you to cut my sandwiches. You started that, I didn't ask for any of this. I understand I'm autistic but you decided to treat me like I can't do for myself, I didn't ask.." I expressed.

"You and everybody else around here treats me like I'm dumb and I don't know how to do stuff when I do! I understand you want me to learn to drive but don't try to act like I asked for this type of treatment because I didn't. It's been like this since I've been younger and I never said anything because I was trying to make you happy!" I expressed.

"Well, Kataleya..I'm not doing it anymore. I'm starting to go back to school and I'm getting me a job at the Nurses station again so I won't be here when you get out of school anymore.." She said shaking her head.

"Ok? Just give me a key. I'll be fine here by myself. I'm old enough to take care of myself when your not around.." I expressed. "I'm 17, not 7.." I said before storming off up the steps to my room.

I was tired of my mother treating me like a child. It was cool when I was younger because she never had anything to do. When she found out I was autistic, she started putting me on the bus to and from school and started the sandwich thing.

I never said anything because I be hungry after school and I just thought she did it because she knew I would be hungry. But I picked up on it when I turned around 10 and noticed she wasn't leaving for work anymore after she got married to Kamiri so I figured she just was doing it because she had nothing better to do.

I never asked for her to be like this.

—————

I walked down the street of Florida and made my way toward the courts I normally go to after school. I just go because I like to watch people play basketball, it was always a sport I was interested in but never wanted to play.

I understood basketball better than I understood actual people, and I didn't mind it.

I was so into the game, I didn't even notice the ball was coming towards me until it hit me straight in the face. I started to duck as the girls who were at the court laughed at me. I picked the ball up and threw it back.