~Chiaki x Mikan: Part Two~

Cover art by senapon on deviantart ♡

✰ Part Two: A Date? ✰
The two girls quickly rushed to get to homeroom before the first bell. Just as the bell rang, Chiaki and Mikan stepped foot into the classroom. Looking around, most kids were there, except for a few, the classic kids who would always arrive late. Chiaki then took her seat in the classroom, all the way in the back, next to Nekomaru. In true Chiaki fashion, she quickly pulled out her Nintendo Switch and started playing games, an activity that wouldn't be allowed in normal schools, but Chiaki was able to game during school due to be the Super High School Level Gamer. Mikan took her seat, all the way away from the windows, in front of Fuyuhiko.

Because of the ringing bell, the once loud class than began to simmer down. Miss Yukizome looked out among the class to notice which students were missing.

"Komaeda, Soda, Mioda, and Hanamura all absent currently." Chisa softly said to herself. It was no shock to her, attendance wise, these kids never made straight A's. As Chisa slowly looked down to mark the not attending students absent, Kazuichi Soda burst through the door, followed by Ibuki Mioda.

Typical. Chiaki thought to herself. Kazuichi always trailed the bell by a few seconds and Ibuki arrived whenever she wanted. It's not like the school could do much. Kicking out Ultimates based on their attendance record was something that never happened.

Nagito and Teruteru entered through the classroom door next.

"Sorry I'm late Miss Yukizome, I had to talk to a fellow classmate." Nagito excused himself to his seat. It's likely that he was asking favors of other students for their talents, something he always admired of the Hope's Peak Students.

"I am truly sorry Miss Yukizome," Teruteru said, walking up to Yukizome's desk. "Breakfast today had many more students than expected." He said in his typical accent. He ran breakfast and lunches for the students of the Main Course, due to him being a SHSL Chef. He practically waltzed his way over to his seat.

Chisa Yukizome happily put her attendance sheet away, excited that all her students were here today.

She then continued with her morning announcements. Mikan would usually pay attention to these, but not today. Mikan spent the whole period staring at Chiaki. Chiaki never noticed, she was too caught up in her game. Mikan noticed every detail about Chiaki. Chiaki's hair reflected the light peaking through the curtains in the classroom. Her eyes sparkled, catching the sun. Her delicate hands furiously mashed buttons. Her school uniform was like all the others, but Chiaki made it better.

Soon, a the school bell cut through Mikan's gaze like a knife though glass. Mikan quickly turned around hoped that no one noticed her blushing. She gathered her bag and left the classroom.

Mikan tried to make her way through the hallways. It wasn't easy, due to Mikan's clumsiness and people pushing her around. In the distance Mikan noticed a familiar voice. Hiyoko.

Hiyoko waltzed her way up to Mikan. Noticing Mikan, Hiyoko pushed her to the side to move through. Mikan stumbled backwards and hit her back against the brick walls. Her legs hit the tile floor in a heap. Trying to keep a level head, Mikan grabbed her bag. She looked up to stand up, instead noticing an outstretched hand looking to help Mikan.

That hand belonged to no other than Chiaki Nanami. Chiaki looked at Mikan, sitting on the floor. Her game was in her other hand by her side. Mikan then looked directly into Chiaki's eyes. For a few seconds, the two held loving eye contact. Mikan accepted Chiaki's help, grabbing her hand and helping herself up.

Chiaki helped the nurse up, then dusted off Mikan's skirt. Mikan, shocked that anyone would even help her, broke through Chiaki's hands to give her a hug. Chiaki was surprised by Mikan's thankfulness, but let Mikan give her a nice hug. Mikan then broke the hug, and grabbed ahold of Chiaki's hands.

"Thank y-you so m-much!" She said, smiling wide.

"No problem, Mikan." Chiaki said.

"You remembered my name!" Mikan squealed, going back into to hug Chiaki. Chiaki was not the type for physical affection, but Mikan gave good hugs. Chiaki, being a little socially awkward, placed her hand on Mikan's back and gave her a few pats.

Mikan broke the hug just in time for Chiaki to ask her something. "Mikan, do you want to get ice cream after school with me?" The gamer girl asked.

Mikan's jaw dropped. Before she could realize it, her eyes were welling up.

"Are you ok?" Chiaki asked, placing a hand on her shoulder.

"Y-Yes, I'm f-fine, it's just..." she trailed off, not knowing how to explain herself. "I've never had a friend before!" she said, tears now streaming down her face. Chiaki, not knowing what to do, went in for a hug. She held the nurse tight, hoping to make her stop crying. Mikan's crying subsided.

"I'll meet you after school outside the gate. I have a great place in mind." Chiaki said. "By the way, do you have a phone number?" Chiaki asked Mikan.

"Y-Yes! Yes I d-do!" Mikan said, quickly pulling out her phone.

"It's a date," Chiaki said before walking away.

A... date? Mikan thought to herself.

The two girls parted ways after exchanging phone numbers.

Mikan went through the rest of the day with a good attitude. She could hardly wait until school was over. Finally, she had someone to care about her. Someone to show her affection, and not out of pity. She happily went through her classes with a smile. No one could get in her way of having an amazing time.

Chiaki was excited also. She happily went through her classes, although she wasn't great at showing it. Showing emotions had never been Chiaki's forte, not because she purposefully hid them, but she internalized them. Inside she was full of happiness and sunshine. Outside, she liked like she always did. The rest of the day felt like floating on clouds. Everything seemed to sparkle a little bit. The trees outside looked more colorful and the paint on the walls was brighter than before.

What is this feeling? Both of the girls though to themselves. Although they didn't know it at the time, the feeling was true love.

1069 words ✰