25. Staking a claim

25. Staking a claim

Niko
I watched her closely with an amused expression on my face. She might not have realized that she was comfortable enough with me to discuss her family drama in front of me. I wasn't going to point it out.
"Family troubles?"
"You could say that." She walked around the office seeming to notice it for the first time. She'd remodelled to her liking. "Why did you replace there with glass?"
"Because I'd like to be able to see what my employees are up to out there."
"And they'll be able to see what goes on in here too. What happens when you need privacy?" She laughed. I haven't heard a real laugh from her since she came back.

"The glass can be frosted." Now why didn't I think of that? "What did you want to talk about?"
"Are you going to stay over there?"
"If I do?"
"Are you scared of being near me Kaitlyn?" Her name rolled off my tongue expertly. She'd come to know that I didn't need to touch her to have an effect. I'd use my words. They'd leave her panting. I wouldn't force myself on her though. I wanted her to come to me willingly.

"I think you like provoking me."
"Is that what I'm doing? That wasn't my intent. Let's deal with business first then. First on the agenda is Victoria."
"Do you want me to throw you out? Why is it that I can never get rid of that bitch?"
"Is that what you're trying to do?"
"I'm sick of hearing about Victoria this and Victoria that. Go be with that bitch and leave me alone." I smirked at her blatant jealousy.

"Give her back the house."
"Why the bloody hell should I do that?"
"Because I'd rather not have to deal with her in my apartment." Her eyes widened. "She's staying with you?"
"She's staying in my apartment."
"Good luck to the both of you then."

I laced my fingers together on my knee. "What's it going to take for you to give her back the house?"
"I can't believe I have to deal with this so early. Okay, how about this then? I'll return them to her if she leaves London. No, not just London. If she leaves England, I'll think about returning her home. If she leaves the UK I'll definitely return them." She smirked. "That would defeat the purpose don't you think?" She shrugged. "That goes to show you how bloody ridiculous this conversation is."
"I promised her I would get her house back."
"Why don't you just buy her another one? You can afford it." She rubbed the side of her head. "Forget it. I don't care. I don't want to hear anything more about the wench or her stupid house. If you utter another word about her I'm throwing you out." I remained silent and studied her. She was pacing. Something was obviously on her mind.

"Let's talk about the foundation dinner then."
"The what?"
"By the look on your face I take it you don't know. That might be a problem. The Birke foundation will be hosting a charity dinner for children with leukaemia. We have to plan and execute this event."
"We?"
"You as well as myself. We're in charge of putting this together."
"Excuse me? What does the Birke foundation have to do with me?"
"You're a member of the board. We both are."
"It's the first time I'm hearing of it. As far as I know, my mum is the one in charge of that."
"Not since your twenty-first birthday."

She rubbed the side of her head again. "Do you have a headache?"
"It seems one is fast approaching from all the bloody nonsense you've been saying. She sat down heavily in the opposite couch. "I'll put this simply. Your grandfather commanded that we run the foundation together from now on. Since you've never been involved I can only assume you know nothing about the foundation your grandfather has been involved with for over thirty years. We have a month to put this together. That means we'll be seeing a lot of each other."

"Listen, De Luca, I don't have time to head a foundation. I'm in the process of getting Accosi International London off its feet. I don't have time for anything extra." She did have a point. I already knew this. A plan started forming in my mind.
"All I ask is that you read upon the foundation. If there is anything you want to know, you can ask me. As for the event, I'll organize it."
"By yourself?"
"Yes."
"What's the catch?" Smart woman. "The catch is that you have to give me a day."
"A day of what?"
"Of your time." She laughed. "Listen, I don't even have time for myself. Do you think I have time to waste with you?"