0. Prologue

Prologue

"It's time for you to leave." I looked at Kei's naked body appreciatively. "Come on darling, don't be like that." I rolled my eyes. "It was fun like it always is. I'm satisfied. But if we get caught it won't go well with my uncle. You know if he knows then dad will know. Once dad knows then mum will know, and that would be the end for you my dear friend."
"Come on Kait, you know I'm not afraid of your old man." I laughed. "I'm not afraid of him either. It's my mum you should worry about."
"She can't be that bad. She looks like she can't even harm a fly."
"Keep believing that. You've only seen her good side Kei. My dad ruins people. My mum makes them disappear."

"Kaitlyn-Rose Paxton!" Shit. Kei and I looked at each other. "Shit, shit, shit. If he catches me here I'm dead," Kei said. "I'll distract him." He dressed quickly as I met my uncle by the door blocking his view of the room. "Uncle James!" I hugged him excitedly hoping to distract his razor sharp gaze. "What is this I hear about you skipping school again?" I shrugged. "I got bored."
"You got bored? How long do you think I can keep covering for you? If your father ever knows about even half the things I keep from him I'd be six feet below ground."
"Relax. It's not that serious."
"Who is it this time?"
"What do you mean?"
"I'm not going to pretend I don't know what you do when you skip school or who you do it with. You've always been careful, and trying to stop you wouldn't work. So who is it? Who do I have to threaten this time?" I glanced around nervously. "Kaitlyn-Rose, who is inside that room?" I prayed Kei had found a way to hide himself, because I couldn't stall my uncle anymore. He moved me aside gently and entered. "Kei, what are you doing here?" He looked around at the state of the room focusing on the bed and the tangled sheets we'd left there. "Don't tell me you two..."
"Uh, hi dad."

"Kaitlyn-Rose Paxton!" I jumped at least three feet into the air and started backing away slowly. He started to advance and I took off. "Get back here young lady!"
"Run Kei! Run!" I should have known I wouldn't have gotten far. He caught me before I could make it down the stairs. "Both of you sit." We did. "Now explain." We remained silent. "Kei." Silence. "Maybe I should call Marc."
"No," I shouted. My father was the last person I wanted to hear bitch right now. "Then start talking."
"We had sex okay."
"I think I figured that part out. You both skipped school to have sex in my house. How long has this been going on?"
"How long has what been going on?"
"How long have you been dating?" Kei and I laughed. "Dad, we're not dating."
"Yeah, we aren't." Uncle James slapped him on the back of the head and glanced at me. I stopped laughing but giggled behind my fingers just the same. "I'm calling your brother."
"What? No, you can't call Jax."
"Would you rather I call your mum?"
"Jax for one hundred please."
"Thought so. He's the only one that can get through to you, because I sure as hell can't." He walked off muttering to himself about kids these days. "Well that went well."
"You poor fool."
"What? It's just your brother. He's always on your side. I'm sure he'll keep your secret."
"That's not what I'm worried about."
"Then what are you worried about?" Kei's chocolate coloured eyes so similar to mine bored into me. "My brother is going to kick your ass. I feel sorry for you." His smile disappeared. "Good luck champ."
"Wait, you can't be serious. I've seen your brother fight. He's a beast. He wouldn't really hurt me would he?"
"I don't know. I am his baby sis. You should be fine as long as you remember one thing...show no fear." Marc Jr. Paxton thrived off his opponent's fear. "I hope you make it out alive. Be brave, Kei."