Games

*******************************************

The Hanged Man had Kirkwall’s worst ale and second-worst clientele, but it had the best gossip, and it was one of the only places in the city that never got around to banning Isabela. So it became the host for regular games of Wicked Grace among Hawke’s friends. Merrill eventually learned not to announce when she was bluffing.

 *******************************************

The sight of Dorian’s arm around Cecily’s shoulders stirred something unpleasant in Cullen. He couldn’t help but notice the way she leaned into the embrace, taking comfort in the contact.

Soon, it seemed to Cullen as if he never saw Cecily without Dorian present. He was there while she and Solas performed various tests on the mark, lending his own magic when required, discussing possible remedies for the Breach in technical terminology that made Cullen's head hurt. They took most of their meals together and they seemed to laugh a great deal, especially when Varric joined them. Cullen half expected Dorian to follow Cecily into the war council, and only just managed to bite back a sarcastic remark about her missing shadow when she entered alone.

Maker’s breath. I have no right to be jealous. She’d shown no sign of interest in him—indeed, she’d been distant ever since he’d told her about Kirkwall, and he couldn’t blame her.

One afternoon, as Cullen headed back to the war room after training with his soldiers, he heard a laugh float out of Cecily’s small Chantry office. “I will win eventually, Dorian.”

Unable to help himself, Cullen walked past her door. It was open, revealing the Herald and her Tevinter mage sitting at her desk with a chessboard between them. “Promises, promises, my dear Cecily,” Dorian said, moving one of his pieces. “Your situation is more dire than you realize.”

Cecily looked at the board, then moved her tower to take Dorian’s archmage. “I think you’re the one in trouble this time.”

“Ah, I’m afraid not.” Dorian moved his knight.

Cecily groaned. “Blast it! I didn’t see that.” She looked at the board, her eyes narrow. “Damn. No matter what I do you’ll win in three moves.”

“Yes. But if you had noticed my knight, you might have played me to a draw. You’re getting much better,” Dorian said. “Of course, you’ve had an excellent teacher.”

“Of course,” she replied wryly.

It was Dorian who noticed Cullen first. “Commander! I don’t suppose you play chess? Our Herald here was hopeless when we began playing, but she’s approaching competence now.”

“Such flattery,” Cecily murmured, setting the board back to its starting configuration.

“I do play a bit,” Cullen said, suddenly seeing an opportunity to ease the lingering tension between them. “I don’t suppose I might claim the next game?”

Cecily stood. “Of course, Commander. I actually need to consult with Cassandra about something. But please, you two should continue.”

Apparently I should have been more specific, Cullen thought, hiding his frustration as best he could. He could not see a graceful way to decline playing against Dorian, so he sat, trying not to watch Cecily as she left the room.

Dorian looked at him with an expression Cullen couldn’t quite read. “Well. Won’t this be delightful? I’ve been thinking we should get to know each other better, Commander.”

“Indeed,” Cullen said politely. “Would you like the first move?”

“Oh no. Please, after you. You’re going to need every advantage you can get.”