Respite

“The boy. Should I meet him?”

Naia had been close to sleep, but Zev’s question quickly woke her. He was sitting up, his knees bent, his arms curled loosely around his legs, looking out into the darkness in their room at Skyhold. She pushed herself into a seated position and slid closer to him. After so many years together his body was as familiar to her as her own; instinctively, she knew just where to settle her elbows and knees and shoulders so they would fit comfortably together, sitting side by side.

She had told Zev about Morrigan and Kieran as soon as he had reached Skyhold. He’d been stunned, understandably, and then he had dropped the subject for several days while they planned Blackwall’s recapture from the Val Royeaux prison. Naia hadn’t brought it up again; she could tell when Zev was just taking time to work something out. “Do you want to meet him?” she asked.

“I still do not know,” Zev said, running a hand through his hair. “I never knew my own father—although that term hardly seems to apply to me. What would I say to him?”

“Morrigan said she hasn’t told him anything about that night,” Naia said. “I don’t imagine she would thank you, if you told Kieran your part in it.”

“Indeed, that was the bargain. Create his life, save yours in the process, and never seek out her or the child,” Zev said simply, with no bitterness. “It is a bargain I am content with. Even if Morrigan would permit such a thing I would make a poor father. And yet—yet I cannot help but wonder about the boy.”

“Maybe those aren’t the only two options,” Naia suggested. “Be his father or never meet him, I mean. And—if you do think it’s something you might want, you may not get a chance like this again. It took us eleven years to wind up in the same place as Morrigan once more.”

“You are wise as always, my Warden,” Zev said, sliding his arm around her waist. “I—I will think on it further.” His chest rose and fell in a silent sigh. “You said he seems well? Happy?”

“Yes. And … he’s normal. I mean, he’s a little odd, formal manners, but he’s not at all what I would have expected. As strange as it sounds, I think Morrigan has been a good mother. She is clearly proud of the boy, and protective of him.”

“I am glad for him, then. And for her.” Zevran turned his head to look at Naia. “I have never regretted the choice I made that night. But I will admit, knowing the boy is well would put some part of me at ease.”

“I felt the same way after I met him,” Naia admitted.

They lay back in bed after that, Naia’s head resting on Zev’s chest, his arm coiled around her shoulders. His heartbeat was strong and solid under her ear, and Naia took comfort in that—but Alistair was not the only reason she wanted to find a cure for the Taint.

I’m glad Kieran isn’t what I feared he might be. But I want to recover the other price you paid for my life, Zev. I want to know the Calling will never come for you.

 *******************************************

“That. Was. Incredible!”

Cullen could hear The Iron Bull from all the way across camp. He was within a paragraph of finishing his report, but he put it down immediately and began walking towards the source of the shout. He’d known it would be difficult to oversee troop movements and read updates on the Inquisition’s progress while Cecily faced a dragon, but knowing that in advance didn’t make it any easier to endure when it happened. He took immediate heart at the jocular sound of Bull’s voice; surely he wouldn’t be that happy if anything terrible had happened?