Soccer Games and Solid Luck

Start from the beginning

         "Right. And while he was lamenting the fact that he's sooo popular and sooo many parties to go to, did he think to invite you to the party?"

       "No." Hailey pouted. "I'm sure he forgot. He will, next time, I'm positive. But you have fun afterwards with Lucas, I'm sure that'll be great."

     Despite everything Hailey insisted she would still do Ryan's homework, as she'd already agreed. It seemed to be perfectly clear that he was using her, but Vincent let her think it was a step in the right direction. If things got worse he would step. Her being out for the game did suck though, because it meant Vinny'd have to go alone, or of course he could skip, but he had promised Lucas he would, and he figured he ought to keep his promise.

      Vincent didn't get out of Hailey's house until late at night when she was finally ready to drive him home. Vinny never stayed out too late, but Hailey was a bit of a night owl and always pushed for him to stay later than he intended. As he walked through the parking lot in front of the dorms his mind began to wander, a thousand thoughts flew around his head. Most of them fluttered around a bit, and then settled on Lucas, and their time together at the library. Vincent's mind strayed to how strange it was of Lucas to want to continue their friendship so bad. It was also weird that he'd elected to tease him to go about that, but Vincent figured boys were just strange, he himself was strange in a lot of ways.

Lucas had changed so much, Vincent thought, his once short asthmatic friend was now captain of the soccer team, and 6'5. It was weird to see him in a new light, almost like an entirely new person.

Vincent shivered, tugging his yellow sweater closer around his shoulders. The next day was a Saturday, and game day for the soccer team. Though he wasn't very close to his roommate, Dustin, he still felt he ought to try and invite him anyway. Partially for a ride, and partially so he wouldn't have to sit in the bleachers alone, but mostly because it felt like a nice thing to do. Dustin was often off with his girlfriend, Sam, but on the chilly Saturday of the Soccer game he was hunched over a controller gaming on the dorm rec room television. Vincent made his way down, and sat beside Dustin on the couch. Dustin looked a little worse for wear, large bags under his eyes and messy hair, but his face was intent and he was very focused on his game.

"Hey.. Dustin." Vincent tapped Dustin's shoulder slightly.

"Hmm.. yeah.. just a second..." Dustin was animatedly battling an alien on the screen, and didn't even shift his eyes in Vinny's direction.

"I'm meeting a friend at the game today, and I was wondering if you might want to tag along. If not I totally get it." Vincent spoke quickly, hoping speeding would prevent stuttering.

"Who's your friend?" He asked, hands glued to the remote control. "It wouldn't happen to be that Lucas Marshall from before would it?"

"Yeah..." Vincent mumbled.

"Do you think he'll... like say hi to us?" Dustin paused his game, and turned to face his roommate in awe.

"Sure I guess." Vincent rubbed his hands together nervously.

"I'm there." Dustin cheered, "I've got to run up and get ready but I'll be down to drive in ten."

....

The air was crisp with a chilly edge, already beginning to freeze over for winter. Vincent felt foolish standing next to Dustin, who had annoyingly painted his face green in school spirit. It was a bold choice. Vincent looked out at the team trying to see if he could pinpoint Lucas; finally catching him practicing kicks at the team's goalie-- and missing every try. Lucas turned to look back, and made eye contact with Vinny from the field, pushing his blonde hair out of his eyes and shooting a wave. Dustin stood up and waved broadly back, earning a strange look from Lucas who just laughed it off. Vincent shrugged and waved back. Lucas mouthed 'this one's for you,' then turned and kicked the ball sending it soaring into the net. The coach ran over to him with a huge smile patting him on the back.

The game went well, at least as far as Vincent could tell from all the students cheering. Every time Lucas scored a goal he would look out into the stands, and Vincent felt like he was staring straight at him. Vincent heard Dustin on a the phone with his girlfriend, and though he usually wouldn't listen, it was hard to avoid, and he was glad because Dustin was going into great detail about Lucas' slump. Vincent had heard the term used before, but he still wasn't quite sure what it actually meant. Finally, after Dustin finished his long rambling call with his girlfriend, Vincent got up the courage to ask him about it.

"What do you mean by slump?"

"He's a good player, but didn't score once in the last game. He just keeps swinging and missing." Dustin responded then went back to paying attention to the game. It was good Lucas' brief slump was over, Vinny assumed. The game ended soon after, and as Dustin and Vincent filed out of the fan section they caught sight of Lucas motioning for them to come find him.

"Is he looking at us?" Dustin asked, eyes wide with awe.

"I... think so?" Vincent answered, with a level of confusion that was not reassuring. Still, they followed the crowd to wait outside the locker room. One by one players began emerging from the room, and lastly Lucas walked out in a green school hoodie, gym shorts, slides and tall soccer socks. His blonde hair was slick to his forehead with sweat, and his usually bright and cheerful eyes looked tired. Lucas was instantly surrounded by congratulators and well wishers, but he held up a finger in Vincent's direction, motioning that he would find Vinny in a minute. After Lucas had finished politely listening to everyone he walked over and wrapped Vincent in a tight hug.

"Oh! Did you see that? I was awesome out there." Vincent stood blindsided by the gesture of affection, but only Lucas laughed with pride for his actions during the game. He gave Vincent one last energized squeeze, then realized Dustin was standing next to him. "Uh.." Lucas cleared his voice, and let go, moving his hand to run it over the back of is neck. "We met before, right? What did you say your name was?"

"I'm Dustin. Major. Fan. I love you, and you played amazing today." Dustin beamed, and Lucas gave him a strange look before turning his eye contact back to Vincent.

"He's my ride." Vincent stated, and Lucas' eyes flooded with something that looked close to relief.

"In that case I should thank you for making sure my boy got here in one piece. I'm glad you enjoyed the game." Lucas held out a hand with a smile, and Dustin firmly grasped it, as if his idol had just offered him a handshake. Vincent wondered if perhaps his idol did just offer him a handshake.

"Yeah. I'm so glad your slump is over." Dustin said, and Lucas face twisted at the awkwardness, but Dustin just continued shaking his hand until finally Lucas broke the contact.

"You really are like my good luck charm!" Lucas pulled back his hand, and his face lit up with realization, as he pointed at Vincent. "I mean I was totally joking about that at the library, but I've really sucked at the last few practices, and today you were here and I played amazing."

"I'm sure it's just a coincidence. You did it all on your own." Vinny smiled.

"I'm not gonna risk it though! I haven't scored a game all season, and all of the sudden you show up and I'm on fire! You gotta come to all my games for the rest of the season, will you?" Lucas big green eyes filled with hope.

      "I.. I can." Vincent agreed; he'd never been good at saying no to Lucas, even as kids.

      "Thank you!" Lucas pulled Vinny into a second hug, this one tighter than the first.

        "Lucas, man, great game... that was lit.. I like thought you weren't gonna be good, and then you like were." A large jock with a mullet walked over and shook Lucas hand, interrupting him from his hug.

       "Yeah, Ryan! You played great too."

       "Thanks man! You're comin to my party tonight right? We gotta have you!"

       "Shit." Lucas turned back to Vincent. "I know we talked about getting food, but I should really make an appearance at this party... you wouldn't want to go by any chance would you?"

      "I... uh..."

      "Just for an hour, tops." Lucas pleaded.

       "Can Dustin come? He's my ride." Vincent asked, and Dustin looked back over from his conversation with interest.

"The more the merrier." Lucas grinned.

"Of course we'll go!" Dustin answered for Vincent.