Chess

"Don't cry when I win, Cullen." Dorian jokes. I can tell by the high-pitched voice. "Please, like you do anything besides lose." I assume it's Cullen. I walk in to the small garden to see them engrossed in a game of chess. "Inquisitor. I will get back to work immediately."

Cullen stands when he sees me and Dorian laughs. I shoot him a hateful glare. "Please don't mind me. You are allowed to take a break. Keep playing. I haven't played since the tower." I talk to myself with the last sentence. Cullen nods appreciatively. The two play for a few more minutes trash talking each other. "You left your queen wide open. Only a idiot does that." Cullen says winning the game.

"Please, I just don't want to make you look bad. Not that you need any help." Dorian comes back. But before the other can say anything, he walks away sighing. "Might I play you?" I ask Cullen who is still sitting. "Of course, inquisitor." I roll my eyes, I hate that name almost as much as I hate the Mage Tower. "You don't have to call me that. It's ok. I have a name. You can use it." He gave me a questionable look while I moved my king. "Really, are you sure? Won't that you know..." I rolled my eyes again, and hesitated, "let them." I said confidently, looking straight into his eyes.

He had ocean blue eyes. Calm and reassuring, yet mysterious. He smiled and asked, "might I then, ask your name?" I blushed, though I don't know why. "Rosalie, Rose works." He smiles wider, "it's a beautiful name." I once again feel the blood rising in my cheeks. All the while playing the game. "You know, I used to play chess with my sister. She had this smile when she won, which was all the time. And so my brother and I practiced for weeks together. Then one day I beat her and, she swept the board off the table. My mother saw and ... Let's just say it didn't end well... for her."

We both laughed." But oddly I wanted to know more about him, it was like some need. Like I had to. I was becoming a stalker. What was it, about him, that I just practically obsessed over. "You have siblings?" I asked. We stopped the game for a second. "Yeah, two sisters and a brother. I don't write to them as much as I should. Last I saw them I was leaving to become a Templar. They're in my home town of Redcliffe right now, last I heard." I smile at his personal story.

"I was shipped of to the temple when I was four. But, I grew up in Highever. My father was the Arl of the area. The last thing I remember of my family is, my nanny telling me, the day I left, "to eat my vegetables and to get out of there as quick as possible by doing my harrowing, as soon as possible. I didn't know what she meant. So I did and left the tower when I was seventeen. I did my harrowing and destroyed my phalactory, my natural tracking device. I never wanted to go back. When this is all over I will probably go see my family again then go to the tower to... help get the little ones through. I don't want them to go through what I did," I smile sadly then shake my head trying to forget the wave of nausea I got when I thought of the tower, "sorry you probably didn't want to hear my sad life story. He frowned, "no, no, it's nice knowing a little more about you." I smile, "you too."

We continued our game. "This is probably the longest time, we have talked about anything besides the inquisition. I kind of like it." He smiles, timidly and nervously at me, motioning to the board, that it was my turn. I smile in return. "I do too. Perhaps we could talk more later." He makes his move, my queen is open. He takes her. He wins. "Good game." I nod and return, "it was, I'll see you around." I get up from my chair and turn to take my leave, when he grabs my hand. I look at him, and he's staring into my eyes, but he loses his nerve. He goes to say something then cuts himself off. "Sorry." he says quickly. I smile and say, "don't be." i squeeze his hand and let go. With that I turn and leave.