I threw the blade on the floor as was ordered.

Edmund wasted not a second and strode towards me with a furious yet tearful look before pulling me into a tight hug as he kneels on the floor. His body was stiff as a rock, the same goes for me from the sudden contact. We stayed there in silence. It wasn't comfortable nor awkward but heavy.

"What were you thinking, huh?" He whispered in a broken voice while his body slowly relaxed but his embrace didn't loosen an inch. "Just what were you thinking?"

"I- uhh... No, it's—" I stammered having a hard time to think of an explanation or excuse. I couldn't just tell him that I need to die to gain more power. He might even go ballistic. And of course, it would lead to more questions that I can't answer. Answers that involve my connection with the goddess and past life.

"Tell me what's on your mind so I can help you. Let me carry your burden, my child, whatever it is I will help and protect you. I need to– I have to protect you. I... I can't lose you too. I can't. . ." He said choking his words and paused for a couple of seconds. "Let me be the father that I had failed to be. I know I'm bad at showing it but I love you, Elaine."

After that day at the drug den, I had to put up a face, I contained myself from falling apart and act like I never died alone in that room chained on the wall. The rotting feeling from that time. It made me wonder how can I maintain my sanity.

Was it because I avoided acknowledging the negative emotions that I thought that it will go away if I didn't look?

Probably. . . and it didn't disappear, it only became a dormant waiting for the right moment when I'm in my vulnerable state.

I flinched when I felt a hand on my back running soothingly up and down, and came to aware that I had been shaking. My body rattled in emotion that I tried to hide.

I bit my lower lip as my throat tighten from the affection that Edmund was giving to me. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry." Tears falling my lips quiver from the soft sob I made.

"It's fine, I'm here. We'll be fine..."

I'm so tired. Tired of being alone and lost, the prolonged feeling of isolation and emptiness. The anxiety that coils around my skin like black smoke drowning me in fear and negative thoughts.

"It hurts," my voice cracked.

"What's wrong, Elaine?" Pulling back Edmund looked over closely examining me in alarm. "Tell me where's the pain?"

I shook my head then looked down, afraid of what face will Edmund make after I said, "I– I don't want to be alone."

I could feel him stiffened before pulling me again. "I'm always here. I won't leave you ever again."

The ghost sensation I never noticed before was now visible after hearing those words. The feeling of security gave a last shiver through my body before I calmed down.

"Don't you ever do that again. I beg you, Elaine, stop scaring me."

I buried my face on the crook of my father's neck and muffled another apology.

"Shhh.. I should be the one apologizing for neglecting you and Aiden. I'm so sorry for making you feel alone, Elaine."

"Father, sister? What's going on?" Aiden asked. He was standing by the opened door with worry sketched on his face.

Slightly turning to look at the young prince Edmund said, "Aiden, my son." He then stretched his arm towards his son with a silent invitation. "Forgive me for not being by your side when you need me."

Aiden's breath hitched and started crying. He quickly went under Edmund's embrace, colliding with me in the process.

I wiped my tears away smiling at the sight of my brother as father hushes him with eyes of adoration although it didn't help, he cried more when I wipe off his tears. He's such a crybaby.

"What's this? I came to check on the princess but it seems I don't have to," Lucas spoke upon his arrival with curl on his lips, amused at the sight before him.

"It is. Now go away, Lucas," Edmund said but there's no bite on it.

"But you like it when I'm with you, your majesty," Lucas said with a tad of playfulness on his tone.

"I do and I'm very grateful for being by my side even though when it isn't needed."

The captain looked back in surprise. "Yo-your majesty. . . Can I also join? I feel like I'm about to cry and in need of a hug."

"No." An immediate response.

Ignoring the rejection Lucas joined earning a groan from the king, zapping the former with a small amount of magic which I presumed Edmund waited a few seconds before doing so.

Lucas yelped jumping back. "So stingy." He let out an amused huff before looking at me. "Ah. I haven't seen you smile like that, princess."

Edmund turned and smiled softly patting mine and Aiden's head. "Happy is a good look for you, Elaine."

Those words help me found myself wishing-wanting to stay.

And it made me.

I chose to stay.