New Teacher

Kara is standing at her locker when her best friend, Winn runs up to her.

"KARA!"

Kara embarrassingly looks at him. "what? lower your voice" she smiles and grabs her books.

"new english literature teacher." He says out of breath.

"Okay, first off. Calm down you're going to pass out. Then i have to do CPR in front of the whole school." Winn smiles and they walk to literature. Kara walks in and sees the back of a young dark haired woman. She walks to the back of the class, sitting with Winn. Kara looks down and doodles as the teacher waits for the bell to ring. The neverending minute passes and they hear the sound of the bell.

"Hello class, I am Ms Luthor. I am your new english lit teacher. i know we are a week into school. Your other teacher left schools unexpectedly. I am excited to start this new year!" The teacher explains, Kara looks up and admires her features. her gorgeous emerald eyes. Her beautiful flowing dark hair. Kara forces herself to stop thinking like that and looks down.

"You are going to write me a poem. It's due by the end of class. A simple task. If you do not complete it in time, you'll be spending time with me after class." The teacher adds and turns around. Boys murmur about them "being okay with staying after class" and "hitting that." Kara rolls her eyes and scoffs at the immature high school boys. Lena hears and glares at them. They stop talking. "Your time has started. Go!" Lena is pleased by the room full of stressing young adults. She smiles and sits down in her chair, going through some papers. Minutes go by and students are lining up handing their poems to Ms Luthor. Ms Luthor looks pass them and notices Kara having troubles. She watches as she scribbles on her paper, turns the page, scribbles again and turns it again over and over. Lena frowns at the struggling student. "Ms Danvers, having troubles?" she says while taking papers from students.

"No Ms Luthor i'm peachy." Kara replies but doesn't realize it came off as rude, she looks up and gives Lena sorry eyes. Lena nods and takes more papers. Kara takes a deep breath and looks down at the paper and writes...
Oh how your smile shines
It's blinding in its might
your voice sounds
like a flowing song delight
music to my ears

with your dark hair
like a midnight sky
with you in my head
my thoughts fly

feelings in red,
the clouds are free
the sun can shine
my heart can beat

Kara looks at the paper and groans. Winn looks over.

"Kara that's beautiful."

"Thanks but i'll just let the assignment pass"

"But-"

"Winn..." Kara looks at him and smiles "it's okay" Winn smiles back. Lena notices this feeling as the smiles have more meaning. Winn hands his poem in and Kara is the only one left. The bell rings and the students leave. Kara puts her hood on and attempts to walk out.

"Oh no you don't."

Kara stops hearing the piercing voice point her out. She slowly turns around looking down.

"I saw that. There was a moment of calm. There was a moment where you got something on your paper. Then of course I saw the glances at your boyfriend.

"What? No! We are just friends. I don't have a boyfriend." Karas eyes widen and she avoids eye contact.

"Ah. That's what they all say. Until you're making out under the bleachers with a jock and you end up watching as he kisses Jessica on the field during a football game!"

Kara furrows her brows, feeling that was too specific to not be a reference. She shrugs it off and takes the paper out with her poem. "Look. it's trash." Kara rips up her paper and throws it into the trash.

"Miss Danvers!"

"May I go now??"

"You didn't turn in your assignment."

"So?"

"See me after school." The teacher sighs as she dismisses the young girl. Kara scoffs and walks out, running into Winn.

"Let's go." She tensely says.

"What happened??"

"Just come on" Winn stops asking and just walks with her.

Lena waited for the girl to leave. She digs in the trash and takes out the crumpled up, torn paper pieces. She smiles and sits at her desk, taping it together as the next class comes in. She sets it aside and says the same pre-written and mirror-performed dialogue she said to the last class. She sits and reads Kara's poem. She's flabbergasted and sits with her mouth slightly gaped as she reads it. She has high hopes for this student. She sets it aside to bring up later with the young blonde.

--

After school, Kara does as she's told and walks into her lit teacher's classroom.

"Miss Danvers" Lena smiles.

Kara notices the torn paper pieced together and tries not to show reaction. "Yeah yeah let's get this over with."

Lena frowns and picks up the poem. "It's a beautiful poem"

"Thanks. Are we done?"

Lena shakes her head and walks up to her sitting down. "Look at me."

Kara winces at the stern voice and stays looking down.

"Look..." Lena lifts Kara's face up with two fingers. "at me."

Kara looks her eyes up and tugs at her sleeves.

"Fine. You want to go?"

"Yes."

"Get to school early and help me grade papers."

"What the hell?!"

"Would you like to add lunch to that time?"

"No ma'am. I just.. how do you have papers to grade when all you did was make us write poems?"

"I have two math classes and they took tests to see where they are at."

Kara pulls her head away and mumbles "great. bullshit."

"Miss Danvers I recommend being respectful toward me. I have the power to hold you here until 5 o' clock and I am more than willing to."

"Got it. Okay. Fine. i'm sorry."

"Thank you" The teacher smiles. She looks at the paper. "Mind telling me what- or who it's about?"

"Don't push it. That's none of your business" Kara snaps back. This is in attempt to avoid mentioning anything about how she feels. Kara leaves without another word. Lena sighs and sits down reading all of the students' poems, glancing at Kara's every now and then. Lena looks up and thinks about how much potential she has and looks forward to tomorrow. She hopes to get something good out of the time they spend together. She hopes to crack her shell and get things out of her.

Lena sits smiling at her paper and nods respectfully knowing she doesn't know anything about what the student is going through. She needs to go easy on her.

*TRIGGER WARNING- self harm*

Kara goes home and lays down, stares at the ceiling and thinks about continuing with her daily hurt. The young blonde goes into the restroom and sits on the floor, blade in hand, staring at her wrist with only day old wounds. She sighs and looks at the blade contemplating. She takes a deep breath and does it. She washes the blood off and sits on her bed, curls up into a ball. She hears the voice of her sister outside of her door

"Hey Kar.. you hungry?"

"No thank you Alex" Kara says 'happily' while fighting back the crack in her voice. She hears her sisters feet depart and lays down in her bed in the fetal position thinking of her dad and the situation he is in.

--

I apologize for that little triggering bit. I tried not to go into full detail. I promise to write a warning every time. I hope you like this story! Sorry if anything is cliché or stereotypical.