Part 39 - A Cold Winter

December 4th, Takuya couldn't think clearly the entire day of school because of yesterday's news. To the surprise of no one, neither Ryoko nor Ryoji were at school that day and once the day had ended, Takuya decided to head over to Naganaki Shrine to see Akinari.

"Oh, Takuya-san." Kamiki said as he noticed his blue-haired friend walking over to him. "You came."

"Of course." Takuya answered with a light chuckle as he took his seat on the bench next to his pale friend.

"You're looking at a free man, Takuya." Kamiki said with a smile

"Really?" Takuya replied in surprised, to be fair he felt awful if this was true since it'd be terrible for his friend to be getting better right as the world was ending.

"Really." Kamiki answered "They told me my body was too weak for surgery, so I refused medication and left."

"Oh....so you're not getting better?" Takuya asked disappointed.

"No." Kamiki answered "Now I'm just waiting for the end..."

"Why would you do that?" Takuya questioned.

"Because Takuya...." he replied "....I don't feel singled out anymore, if you think about it we're all just waiting to die...I'm just waiting less than everyone else, but once your number is called it's always the same..." he let out a sigh "...I'm still a little lonely, but I'm not sad anymore..." he smiles slightly at his friend.

"Akinari...." Takuya spoke "....You're sure about this?"

"Yes." Akinari answered "It feels right to me...." a silence hung in the air after that, no clue where to go from there Takuya just asked "What about your book?"

"It's almost done...." his friend answered "...I'll show it to you next time we meet, I think you'll like it."

"I think I will too..." Takuya said with a weak smile, he hoped he'd get to read his friend's story before Nyx came "...Akinari, I'm glad I met you."

"I'm glad I met you too, Takuya." Kamiki replied "You truly helped me through this." he started to cough "I'm...growing tired already, my apologies."

"Don't apologize for it, I get it." Takuya said as he stood up and then helped his friend up "Wanna meet here again later this month?"

"Sure..." Akinari answered with another cough "...I'll try to have my story done by then."

"Perfect." Takuya replied, after the two boys said their goodbyes they went their separate ways for the time being.

December 7th, Takuya returned back to the dorm that evening to find only Mitsuru in the lounge area.

"Takuya...." Mitsuru said as he came in "....Can I speak with you?"

"Always." Takuya answered before walking over and taking a seat next to her on the couch "Are...Are you scared?" he asked with genuine concern.

"Not scared exactly....I just can't wrap my head around all this, it all feels so unreal." Mitsuru explained "I had thought I would've been stronger after my father...." she paused "...but I haven't..." in response he wrapped his arms around her and brought her into an embrace.

"It's okay..." Takuya told her "...It's not like any of us get it."

"That is true, I suppose." Mitsuru replied "Takuya...what do you believe happens when we die?"

"Mitsuru...." Takuya said "...I...I don't know, I don't think anybody does...."

"Are...." she paused "Are you afraid?"