8 | t r e v o r w i l s o n

Start from the beginning

"He's scared he won't be able to find her again," Julie said, frowning. They heard Mickey laugh happily again from above. "So, if they're in love, why aren't they together?"

"Well, I'm sure you've noticed that Reg isn't the most... observant," Luke said, chuckling. "No matter what we tell him, he just can't be convinced that someone as great as Mickey would feel the same way. And he cares too much about their friendship and having her in his life to risk messing it up by telling her."

Julie nodded in understanding. "And her? Why hasn't Mickey made a move?"

Luke eyed her and grinned. "I don't know how they do it here in 2020, but back in '95, it's the guy that's supposed to make the move."

Julie scoffed and rolled her eyes. "That's sexist. There's nothing wrong with the girl being the one to ask the guy out."

"I'll keep that in mind," Lule playfully teased. "Anyways, I think Mickey is the same. She's just scared he might not feel the same, which is stupid. I mean, they're basically already dating. They just don't do the kissing and whatnot. Who knows though. Maybe now that we're dead, he'll man up and make a move."

"It's sweet that they're so important to each other," Julie said, smiling down at her songbook. She wished she could have something like that. Julie shook her head and focused back on the song they were writing. "Okay, how does this sound for the bridge? And it's one, two, three, four times that I'll try for one more night." She played a few notes on the piano to accompany it, and Luke grinned.

"I love it. And then after that, we could try..."

While they worked on the song, Mickey and Reggie messed around in the loft, blissfully unaware of the other two people.

Reggie was far too impatient to let the nail polish air dry, meaning it had smeared a lot, and he had even ended up with some on his forehead. Mickey had climbed on top of him and scrubbed it off with some nail polish remover while he grinned goofily up at her.

"Despite the mess, I think it looks great," Mickey said, holding one of his hands and examining her work. "Now we've just gotta steal some of Julie's eyeliner to turn you into a real rock star."

"You're not putting eyeliner on me," Reggie said, laughing. He wrapped an arm around Mickey's waist and pulled her against him.

"Please?" she asked, playfully pouting. "I think you'd look totally hot with eyeliner on. Just like Billie from Green Day."

Mickey looked down at him with wide, puppy dog eyes, which he couldn't say no to. Reggie's cheeks went red as she called him hot, or at least implied that she could think he was hot. His grip on her waist tightened so that he could pull her closer, and for a moment he thought she glanced down at his lips.

"I, uh, I g - guess we can try the eyeliner," he muttered softly.

Mickey felt a little embarrassed that she had been momentarily distracted by Reggie's lips. She had almost forgotten about her original request. But as Reggie spoke again, she shook off the desire to kiss him and grinned.

"Be right back. Just gotta ask Julie where she keeps it."

Once Mickey flashed away, Reggie sighed, laid back on the ground, and stared up at the ceiling. "C'mon, Reginald. Just man up and fucking kiss her next time."

|||

When Julie returned home from a long day at school, she had some exciting news to share with the band. Flynn had managed to book their band for the school dance that was being held that night. While Reggie, Luke, and Mickey — Alex was off with Willie — were looking over the flyer, Julie was telling them all about it.