~46~ The calming senses of hidden guilt

Start from the beginning

~~~

A soft knocking from the door snaps me from my thoughts as Marion ceases to read, looking up as she smiles softly and closes the book.

"Come in." She says clearly and moments later the door opens to reveal George, a few soldiers, and the doctor from a few nights before.

They walk in, a few soldiers stopping by the door while the others entered the room.

"Sorry to intrude m'ladies." The doctor says, a dark bag in his hand.

I slowly move, my breathing hitching as I sit up more, with help from Kate, who placed a hand on my back.

"Careful, love." George says in a gentle toned voice as he stops by my side, taking my left hand in his as I look up and smile, exhaling while Marion stands from her spot on the bed to stand near George's side.

"Now I won't take up much of your time. How are we feeling today, your highness?" The doctor questions, setting his bag on the side of my bed as I nod.

"I'm fine Mr. Gillian." I say kindly, watching the older man chuckle to himself.

"Please, your highness, Leonard is just fine." He says, stepping closer to the side of the bed as his gaze falls to my nightgown covered legs.
He clears his throat softly, moving both the sheer and patterned fabric up to my mid-calf to uncover my left ankle.

He unwraps the cool, slightly damp hand towel from my ankle, setting it on the bed as I feel George gently place his hand on my right shoulder.

I watch Gillian examine my bruised skin, trying not to wince every once in awhile as he carefully moved it, and instead I gently squeeze George's hand.

"His majesty has told me you seem to be doing well- in the head that is, that you've answered all the questions I told him to ask correctly, and that's a very good sign."

The older male quietly says to himself, fixing his glasses and after a moment he straightens, nodding his head.
"Aside from the bruising," he starts, stepping towards me and the doctor lifts my chin, his old, gentle brown eyes looking into my (e/c) ones for a few moments before he slowly nods. "Everything is starting to look better. And as long as you keep off of it, and keep up with the cold compresses on both your head and ankle, once the bruising and swelling goes down- and you give your body time to heal, I'd say you'll be better in a few weeks time."

"'A few weeks?'" I say softly, watching the older male nod.

"From what I've seen I'd say three or four weeks max, but that all depends on you, your highness." He smiles, walking back over to the end of the bed.
"His majesty said in passing conversation that you've been stressing over personal matters." He says and my gaze flicks back his profile as he picks up his bag.
"I didn't pry as it's none of my business, but I do hope things get better for you, your highness. For right now I suggest you get some rest, elevate your ankle and try to relax, get your mind off of it as best you can." He takes a step back, bowing to George and I, as the king nods.
"I'll return in a few days to check in again. Good day your majesty, your highness." He says clearly, straightening as I shyly - and awkwardly wave, earning a small chuckle from Gillian and George before the doctor fixes his bag and walks to the door.

"Escort Mr. Gillian to the front entrance." George speaks up, earning a few nods from the soldiers in the room before they all leave.