"Ohh totally. I want to jump him right now." Girl 2 said.

To be very honest, I was kinda annoyed listening to all the juicy talk about Derek. I didn't like it. I know I don't have any sort of copyright claim on him but still. So I did something I shouldn't have done. I leaned closer to them and said.

"Wishful thinking girls. I've heard he's gay." I said smiling sadly at them while they made awkward faces at each other.

Just when I got comfortable in my own seat having a little victory dance in my head, I saw Derek glancing at me from the field. He looked at me in a way as if he heard what I said to the girls. 'Stupid, how can he hear that from there??' my subconscious mocked me. Exactly, I thought.

Maybe I'm reading too much into his actions, especially that little eyebrow raising that he does.

________________________________

Well, the match ended and our college won by 6-3. Liam scored the final basket and a total of 3 baskets. He was the star performer of the evening. We all cheered from the stands and everyone was so happy to defend the title.

After a while when all the players were off to the locker room, I got a text from Liam asking me to meet near the parking lot. I figured maybe Alex had left so I rushed to see the fun.

Just when I was about to take a right turn towards the parking lot, someone grabbed me by my waist and pinned me to the wall that surrounded the lot. It was dark and I would have screamed but the person had already put his strong palm on my mouth. So yeah, I was voice-less. But I did put up a fight to set myself free but the person wouldn't budge. And then he said.

"Don't scream. It's me. Derek." the person said and removed his hand from my mouth.

He pulled out his phone from his jacket pocket and lit the torch. 'He looks so dreamy in torch light' I thought. I gathered myself immediately and pushed him off of me.

"What are you doing?? You can't scare someone like this. What if I had gotten a mini heart attack??" I whisper-shouted at him to which he let out a small laugh.

"A mini heart attack?? Seriously??" he laughed as I glared at him. "Okay enough with the glares. Whatever you and your bff did to Alex's car is not a good thing. I understand you want revenge but this is Alex. You don't know him. You don't know the lengths he'll go to if he decides to destroy you." Derek said in a raised voice.

"I don't care if he's whatever he is. I'm Amarra Wilson. No one messes with me like that and gets to live like nothing happened. He's gonna pay for whatever shit he pulled out on me the night of the freshers' party." I gave a firm statement to Derek crossing my hands, standing like a badass Queen.

"I told you I will take care of him. I don't want you getting involved." he scolded me.

By this time, my temper was at the highest degree.

"And who are you??? My dad?? Coz last I checked, he's still dead." I said angrily and immediately regretted the words.

Derek's eyes widened hearing about my dad but he said nothing. "Alex got my drink spiked and you want me to sit down and do nothing. Seriously Derek??" I said.

"Yes. I am trying to protect you. Don't you get it??" he said in a worried tone.

"I am not yours to protect. Look, you saved me that night and I am truly grateful. But you don't get to tell me what I can and can't do." I stated.

"Fine. Do what you want. And don't expect me to rescue you after you turn out to be a damsel in distress." Derek glared at me and snapped.

"I won't." I said with anger in my eyes and voice and left from there.

_____________________________________

As I was walking angrily towards my dorm, I pulled my phone out of my jeans pocket and called Liam. It went to his voicemail. I wondered where he went after texting me to come to the parking lot.

I was walking really fast when it hit me. I stopped near a tree to breathe. I took several deep breaths and my eyes began to water. I had kept it all inside me, everything that happened that night. I couldn't anymore. The thing is I was scared. I haven't felt completely safe ever since my parents' death. I get either very angry or get panic attacks in vulnerable situations. Daniel has been my rock ever since but now I have to deal with my demons on my own. Not just because I am alone here but also because I am an adult and I must learn to handle my emotions on my own.

I sat down with the tree's support and cried my heart out. It was a secluded path so nobody was around. I missed my parents. If they were around I wouldn't have been so scared. I looked at the sky that was brimming with stars, hoping to see my parents. I didn't see them but it helped calm me.

After a few minutes, I heard footsteps coming towards me. I lifted my head to see Liam coming towards me hurriedly.

"Hey... What are you doing here???" he said worried. When he saw my tearful eyes he got worried. Liam kneeled down in front of me and held my hands. "Why are you crying??? What happened??" he asked softly.

"N...N...Nothing. I.... I am scared." I stammered.

"Of what?? Alex??" Liam asked to which I simply nodded.

"He won't hurt you again. I promise. I am here. Derek's here. We'll protect you." he said those words with such conviction I couldn't stop my tears. He shifted and sat next to me giving me a side hug. I cried in his arms.

"I had a fight with Derek. He told me not to get involved and I went all angry-young-woman on him. He probably hates me now." I said in muffled voice.

"I know what happened. He's the one who sent me. He cares about you." Liam told me to cheer me up because he knew how much I wanted Derek to like me back.

"He does. But why didn't you come to the parking lot after texting me. Instead Derek showed up and we ended up having a huge fight." I said.

"Actually, Derek confronted me after I texted you. He had seen us in the parking lot earlier. He told me not to go. And he also took my phone. That's why I couldn't warn you about him finding out. He was so mad at me. God!!" Liam told me everything and sighed.

"He told me to do nothing. I got so angry that I said a few bad things to him. He will never talk to me again. I know. I even called him gay in front of a few girls from our class." I face-palmed myself.

"WHAT??? Why did you do that??" Liam laughed.

"They were hitting on him and saying inappropriate things like jumping him, riding him. Who says such things??? What are we ??? Hormonal teenagers??? I didn't like it. So I shattered their stupid dream." I said and cringed at the thought of those girls roaming around Derek.

"Oh my God!!! You're acting like a jealous girlfriend." Liam mocked me.

"I wish." I smiled at the thought of being Derek's girlfriend.

"Hehe....C'mon let's walk you to your dorm. You should take rest." Liam said getting up and giving me a hand. I smiled at him and got up taking his hand.

We walked silently towards the dorm hand in hand like two best friends. Little did we know, my special someone was hiding behind the shadow and listening to each and everything we talked about.

_____________________________

Hello everyone,

Please read the chapter and let me know how you feel.

Also please VOTE for the chapter.

Question of the day :-

Favourite TV series???

~Preeti