The End of the Beginning

Present day...

The sun shone through the bay window of Courtney's living room in California. Going to college there made her fall in love with the state, so she got her United States citizenship and was lucky enough to be picked up by a law firm local to her first apartment. Over time, her reputation grew to the point where she was successful enough to open her own firm and buy her very first house.  She had been fortunate, but it hadn't been without its sacrifices.

Courtney was busy doing laundry. She'd been so preoccupied with work that all of her pantsuits had gotten dirty, so she had no other choice but to dedicate her entire weekend to her least favorite chore: laundry. Luckily, her caseload this week wasn't too heavy. Courtney had a basket in her arms when her cell phone rang.  The ringtone, Katy Perry's "California Gurls," signified that it was Bridgette. 

"Bridgette, you couldn't just text?  I'm in the middle of-"

Courtney, turn on your T.V.  Right.  Now.

Courtney held the phone between her ear and shoulder.  "What?"

Just do it

"I don't even know where the remote is..." she mumbled as she dug through the pile of clothes on her bed to find the remote control and hit the power button. 

Lo and behold, on the news channel that was on before she had turned it off last night was Duncan, who had apparently spent the past ten years growing a following for the punk band he started.  For someone so absorbed in her studies, Courtney hadn't paid attention, or kept in contact.  Of course, she wouldn't have paid much attention to the punk scene anyways, but normally she'd have been paying attention to him. He looked the same. Same intense blue eyes. Same messy black and green hair. Same piercings and smudgy eyeliner. Same mischievous smirk. It was like Courtney had just been transported back in time to the last moment they had seen each other: that fateful night in her bedroom at the end of their senior year.

"Oh my God."

Are you seeing it?  Geoff and I bought tickets to his show.  Do you want to come with us?

Courtney sat down on her bed in the midst of all of her dirty clothes.  "What?  He's coming here?  Um, yeah, I guess I'll go, but-"

I know, it's hard to believe.  I guess I should've listened to Geoff when he told me Duncan had started a band, but I couldn't have ever imagined this!  It'll be fun for all of us to go!  I have an extra ticket if you want to bring someone.

"I don't even know who I'd bring," she shifted the phone from one ear to the other.

If you don't have anyone, Geoff can bring Brody.  Is that okay with you?

Courtney cleared her throat.  "Uh, yeah, yeah, that's fine.  Well, I gotta go, Bridge."

Cool!  I'll just send you the info.  See you then!

She hung up.  The phone slipped out of her hand onto the bed beside her as she laid back, sprawled across her messy queen bed.  Then, she sobbed, and when her laundry didn't get done, she sobbed some more.

~

"Wow, this place looks great!" Bridgette said as she stepped into Courtney's house for the first time since the house warming party.  "You've really settled in."

"Sweet digs, Court!" Geoff smiled wide.

Courtney gave her a small smile.  "Yep, home sweet home."

Bridgette pulled her into a hug.  "Are you ready for tonight?"