Chapter 16

Paxton

The ride home was mainly silent as both Kayden and I only needed to be holding each other's hand to be content. As soon as we pulled into the pack development, though, his grip tightened on mine. I looked over to see Kayden glancing around nervously after I parked the car.

"Don't be nervous." I told him. "These people won't hurt you." I smiled reassuringly.

He nodded and smiled weakly before getting out of the car. I got out and led Kayden up to my house.

The second we opened the door we were bombarded by people. Connor ran into the hall and jumped into my arms. My mother could be heard yelling from the kitchen.

"How was your date with Kayden? Did you boys have fun?"

"Paxton had a date? I thought he was waiting for his mate!" I heard Caroline yell from the living room.

"Kayden is his mate, hun. Did you not know this?" My mother answered

"No. Since when is Paxton gay?" Caroline asked.

"Since now!" I yelled. "And I'd appreciate it if you stopped making my boyfriend uncomfortable." I looked over to see Kayden blushing and looking down at the floor.

"He's here?" My mother said, rushing into the main hall and seeing him there. "Oh, hi honey. I'm Paxton's mom. You can call me Maggie." She took a hold of his shoulders and gave him a hug.

Kayden's eyes widened and he looked panicked, unsure of what to do. I just nodded and smiled reassuringly. Slowly he hugged her back and I saw a calm expression overcome his face as he tightened his grip on her. They let go and Kayden smiled at her.

"Come with me, Kayden. Help me finish up dinner." My mom grabbed his hand and pulled him into the kitchen.

I sighed happily then looked down at Connor. He had his arms wrapped around my neck tightly and his face buried in my shoulder.

"How was your day?" I asked, squeezing him tightly as I walked him into the living room.

*******

That night everyone had dinner together and we managed to keep a good conversation going. Caroline made me retell the entire story of how Kayden and I came to be and she fangirled the entire way through. Everyone, however, was surprised when I told them that Kayden was a werewolf but they all accepted him wholeheartedly and promised to help him.

Now, Connor, Kayden, and I were all snuggled up on the couch together. I was sitting upright my arm around Kayden as he snuggled into my side. His feet were up on the couch beside him and his arms were around my waist. Connor was on my other side just sitting and watching TV.

I could hear Kayden giggling at the TV but I couldn't focus on it. My eyelids kept dropping and my head kept falling before I picked it up. Within five minutes, I couldn't help it. I closed my eyes and rested my head on top of Kayden's.

I was almost fully asleep when I felt Kayden shaking me. I opened my eyes and looked at him drowsily.

"Go up to bed." He whispered. "I'm going to bring Connor up."

I looked over to see Connor konked out on the couch beside me. I then nodded and trudged my way upstairs but by the time I got to bed I was no longer tired. I just wanted to cuddle with Kayden.

I stripped off my jeans and T-shirt and got under the covers, staring at the ceiling while waiting for Kayden to come in. My thoughts went back to this morning, when I sat in the back of the car with Kayden while he sobbed about his scars. I was so curious as to how he got those, wanting to know what could have happened to him to cause that reaction.

Ten minutes after I collapsed on my bed, Kayden came in.

"Strip down and join me," I said, pulling back the covers. The light of the moon allowed just enough light to come in so I could see his blush, which made me chuckle. "You know what I mean."

He stripped off his skinny jeans and pulled his hoodie over his head, revealing a plain white T-shirt underneath. He hopped in bed and laid down next to me, looking at me with a small smile on his face. I took his left hand in mine and brought it up to kiss his palm. Then I turned it over so I could see the scars on his wrist and forearm.

"Can you tell me why?" I asked and immediately the smile fell from his face. He turned away from me and laid on his back, staring at the ceiling. "You don't have to." I said, missing his contact.

He shook his head. "It started when I was three." He said, staring at the ceiling blankly as if lost in the memory. "I don't know how or why but I was left on someone's doorstep in the middle of nowhere. I can't remember anything before that. I was immediately put into the system and waited two years until I was adopted by a man named Kody Verne. My first three years with him were pretty good. We weren't necessarily close but living with him was better than being in the system. That is, until I was about eight. The summer between 3rd and 4th grade was when he started..." He took a few deep breaths. I could see the tears welling in his eyes so I took his right hand in mine and lifted it to my lips, kissing it all over.

He took another shuddering breath and continued on. "It was when he started abusing me. As an eight year old kid, it hurt but he told me I deserved it so I figured it was just a punishment. But the older I got, I learned that parents aren't supposed to hit their children but I didn't know what to do. He threatened me about telling someone so eventually, I just went mute. As I got older, I realized I was gay and was forcefully outed at school. I was bullied and I started cutting to have something in my life that I had control over. When I was thirteen, Kody found out I was gay. That day I came home from school and he- he d-dragged me up the stairs to his room." His breathing quickened and his tears were pouring faster so I shushed him gently and kissed up and down his wrist and forearm.

The rage I felt at this man was building quickly and my wolf wanted nothing more than to get apart the man who caused my Kayden so much pain but I knew better than to let it out. I just laid there, kissing Kayden's scars and waiting for him to continue. "He- he tried to rape me. To show me what 'being gay means'. Luckily, I was able to grab the lamp from the bedside table and hit him over the head with it. Then I called the cops and he was thrown in jail for 25 years. I was put back into the system and Addy adopted me 3 months later."

I nodded at him, still holding his hand. "What about the scars?"

He gulped. "I started cutting around eleven, which is where I got the ones on my stomach and wrists. I stopped though. When I was fifteen I was finally able to get clean and I have been ever since. The one down my chest is from when Kody cut me with a beer bottle. The one on my shoulder is from when he tried to stab me and he missed, only slicing open my shoulder."

"Kayden," I said. He turned and looked at me with a red face and teary eyes. I smiled lightly at him. I opened my arms to him and he immediately rolled into me. He cried into my shirt, gripping it tightly. I whispered sweet nothings in his ear and rubbed his back until he calmed down.

Kayden sniffed and looked up at me after he stopped crying. "I love you," he whispered, his bright blue eyes locked on mine.

"I love you, too," I whispered back.

Kayden then turned over so his back was to me and in minutes he was asleep. I kissed his head before nuzzling my face in his hair and falling into a deep sleep.