Chapter 9

Kayden

I jumped when I felt the hand on my shoulder, thinking it was Joey and his crew. Luckily, when I turned around to see the mystery person, I came face to face with Paxton. I let out a sigh of relief even though being in his presence gave me butterflies, sweaty palms, and caused my heart to beat faster.

"Hey," he said, smiling his brilliant smile.

Suddenly I had the intense urge to kiss him. I shoved it down, shivering when I felt something inside me growl lowly.

I returned the smile shyly, trying to slow my pounding heart and keep down the urge to kiss Paxton senseless.

"So I really need to talk to you. Do you wanna, like, skip with me?" He asked, smiling sheepishly.

I stared at him for a second, shocked, before nodding, a grin spreading across my face. Paxton's face lit up at the sight of my smile.

"Great!" He said excitedly. "Let's go. I have a place I want to show you." He grinned hugely and grabbed my hand, pulling me towards the exit of the school. On our way out, I saw Mr. Ceffa smirk at me and wink before entering his classroom. For a minute I pondered it, confused but Paxton's constant tugging on my hand pulled my attention to him.

We were going to skip school. Paxton Knight wanted to skip school with me! I've never skipped school before. What if we get caught? Oh god!

I slowed down which caused Paxton to turn and look at me. He stopped once seeing my expression.

"What's wrong?" He asked sounding genuinely concerned.

I whipped out my phone and sent him a text.

"Don't worry about getting caught, alright? This is going to be amazing." He gave me an honest smile and I nodded. Paxton wouldn't let anything bad happen to me. Right?

*******

A ten minute car ride and a five minute hike through the woods later, we came to a break in the thick forest of trees. In the middle sat a pond with a bunch of streams breaking off of it.

My mouth dropped open. It was beautiful! I thought.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" Paxton said, basically reading my thoughts. All I could do was nod.

Looking at one of the streams breaking off of the pond, I remembered when I changed into a wolf on Monday. The thought of it had something inside me shifting uncomfortably, pushing against my resistance to come out. I ignored it and followed Paxton to the edge of the pond.

He laid down at the edge, staring up at the sky and I copied him. All was silent except for the slight lapping of water and the sounds of the forest.

After a couple of minutes of silence, Paxton turned to face me. I faced him as well and waited for him to talk.

"The reason I brought you out here is because I wanted to talk to you. I honestly didn't mean to do this and it's not something I normally do." He took a deep breath and I stared at him. What was he going to say? "I accidentally read yours and Connor's texts."

The blood drained from my face. He knows. He knows I like him and he brought me out here to beat me to the brink of death. I was going to lose my only friends, Connor, all of whom I've grown attached to. The thing inside me whimpered in pain. I turned over on my back and covered my face with my hands, taking a shaky breath.

"Hey," Paxton said gently. "I'm glad I did. If I didn't, I would've never had the courage to ask you out."

I whipped my head around to look at him, searching his face for any trace of a lie, but I ofund none.