Chapter 7

Kayden

On the fifteen minute car ride to the diner, Connor and I texted back and forth at Paxton's request, which I was both happy and nervous about. I didn't know how to start a conversation with him, but luckily I didn't have to.

C: So you're Paxton's friend?
K: Yeah. We actually only met yesterday.
C: I only met him yesterday too
K: Yeah, he told me about your parents. I know what you're going thru.
C: Really?
K: Yeah. So if you ever need anyone to talk to, I'll be here.
C: Thank you.
Do you think Paxton really wants me?

Connor's question surprised me. He didn't think Paxton wanted him?

K: Why do you ask?
C: When he found me I knew I liked him and when he told me my parents died he was so nice to me. He let me cry on him and he hugged me. Since then I know I want to say with him and he said he's not gona leave me but I don't want him not like me. I really wanna stay with him but what if he doesn't like me?

I was aghast at what he told me. These thoughts were going through the mind of a seven year old?

K: He absolutely likes you. In fact, I'm almost positive he already sees you as his son. He talks about you as if you are his own son. I'm positive he already loves you.
C: Really?
K: Really.

We kept talking, getting away from the deep stuff and started joking around to the point where I was actually giggling.

The car ride ended quickly and Connor and i continued texting as we entered the diner with Paxton. I watched as Paxton held Connor's hand, leading him to the counter where he lifted Connor into a chair.

I admired the way Paxton acted with Connor. It just made me like him even more than I already did, which is not good. I'm practically already falling for him and this is only the second day I've known him! The thing is, I felt like I've known him so much longer.

I looked at him again, taking a seat to the left of him with Connor on his right. He was talking to Connor, helping him come up with hand motions so they could communicate. I watched him wistfully, knowing someone like him would never be gay, let like someone like me.

Our waitress asked for our order, pulling me out of my thoughts.

"What would you like?" She asked Paxton in a flirty way.

I internally rolled my eyes. She looked about 19 or 20. She had blonde hair and light brown eyes. Her face was so caked with make up she looked like she had beige flour on her face.

"Can I have a chocolate milkshake and a bacon burger with fries?" He asked, not looking at her. "And my son will have a vanilla milkshake with the kids grilled cheese."

The waitress, which, from her nametag I knew to be Britney, frowned at Paxton's ignorance. I smirked inwardly.

"What would you like?" He smiled at me. I smiled back shyly and pointed to the vanilla milkshake and chocolate chip pancakes, blushing.

Paxton chuckled. "And Kayden will have a vanilla milkshake with a shortstack of chocolate chip pancakes. Thank you."

Britney huffed and left. Paxton let out a groan. "She's so annoying. I would never go for her, even if I was straight."

My eyes widened and I stared at him, my mouth dropped open. He's gay?!

He looked at my expression and laughed. "Yeah. I'm gay. I didn't think it was that much of a surprise. You don't mind, though. Right?" He suddenly looked really nervous.

I shook my head and pointed to myself, hoping he got the message.

"You're gay?" I nodded. "Cool." He smiled.

My phone dinged and I looked down at it.

C: Do you like my dad? Like have a crush on him?

My cheeks burned red I glanced at Connor, who wiggled is eyebrows. I playfully scowled at him and he grinned.

K: Maybe...
C: Cool! I think he likes you too. He keeps smiling at you when he doesn't think anyone is looking and you're the first person who has met me since...

The color in my cheeks refused to leave. I know I couldn't take the word of an seven year old but I really wanted Paxton to like me.

I snuck a glance at him, smiling softly when I see Paxton playing tic-tac-toe with Connor, both of the laughing.

After a couple more minutes of joking around, Britney came back and placed our food in front of us.

I immediately dug in, stuffing my face with pancake as Paxton and Connor did the same with their meals. I didn't realize how hungry I was until now. Being nervous and heartbroken really works up an appetite.

Halfway through my pancakes, I looked over at Paxton and smirked. A sudden confidence rushing over me. I slid my hand sneakily over to Paxton's plate, quickly stealing three fries and shoving them in my mouth. Paxton looked over at me with a shocked expression.

"Did you just steal some of my fries?" He gasped. I laughed and nodded. "Then I guess I'll just have to steal some of your pancake!" He said, lunging for my plate. I tried to stop him but he grabbed half of one and stuffed the whole thing in his mouth.

I gaped at him smilingly and laughed and he smiled and laughed back. Soon we were cracking up uncontrollably. Connor was giggling too, our laughing contagious.

When we finally got ourselves under control, I received another text from Connor.

C: Not just anyone gets Paxton to laugh that hard. And a boy doesn't just share his food with anyone.

I blushed deeply at what Connor was insinuating. Paxton couldn't like me, could he?