The Subway Series

It's funny how Toronto's subway system can be a source of frustration and relaxation at the same time. Some days it's jam packed and you'd do anything to be home to catch up on some tv shows, and other days you want the ride to go on uninterrupted while you fall asleep from a hectic day.

For me, it's recently been an unexpected opportunity to be reacquainted with a friend whom I last spoke to in middle school. This was over 10 years ago.

What makes it more interesting is the fact that we continue to bump into each other consistently on the subway (weekdays), despite the fact that I have such a widly inconsistent routine of heading to work. But it's been pretty nice being able to reconnect with my old friend, and see where life has taken him and what he's been up to.

Even though we last spoke to one another 10 years ago, and we're "adults" now, a lot remains the same. It's even a bit freakish. We both live downtown-ish, and are in the same industry for work. I even attempted to get him to apply for a position at Wattpad, but that didn't go through.

It's funny thinking about the amount of people who enter and exit your life. And the expectation of not reconnecting with someone after losing touch with them for so long, especially with Toronto's sizable population. But this recent occurrence has got me thinking about the rest of my friends with whom I've lost touch with years ago...wondering how they are, what they're up to, and how they've turned out.

Here's hoping to more "subway series" reconnections so I can find out.