Chapter 78: I have eyes, Dixon.

Start from the beginning

"Not... Us," she repeated, more certain this time and just as irritated as me. "Go to the border, lay down your weapons, and wait."

"Wait for what?" Daryl questioned. At this point, we couldn't risk just listening to Alpha. We had to be prepared for a fight if that was what was coming. Of course, I doubted this lady was going to tell us what would happen.

"Her."

That was the end of it, and the Whisperer walked away from us oh-so casually. I knew without any sort of thinking that Alpha knew what happened, that we were in her land and she had plenty to say, if not do. Going to this meeting could result in someone dying if not an all-out war, but things could only get worse if we ignored it.

"Alright! Last-second meeting!" I called out to those standing there. A good bit of the town had gathered to see who had arrived and I could guarantee they were disappointed. We could've been using this time to rest but no, we had a meeting at the border to attend.

Gradually, the people in-charges of decisions made their way to the meeting house. A good bit of the town continued cleaning up and preparing for the next wave of walkers, but we needed to decide what to do next. I stood against the wall, watching everyone situate themselves for the upcoming debate I could guarantee was coming. Lydia was present, of course, and there was no doubt it would lead to disaster and harsh words.

Over all of the grumbling and hushed discussions, Michonne shouted out, "Okay! Let's get this done."

Once silence found its way in, she nodded to me to begin the discussion. I looked at Lydia, and asked a question I already knew the answer to. "Lydia, are the Whisperers behind this? Have they done this before?"

"No. I don't think this is them," she decided. I was surprised. I had been certain this was, without a doubt, the doing of Alpha and her herd.

"Why's she want to talk with us?" Daryl asked her. Again, I was fairly certain about that, too. She had to know we were in her territory.

"You crossed into her land," Lydia reminded him. "Again. You have to answer for that."

Aaron, at the front of the room sitting with the council, disagreed.

"We don't have to do anything. We could just not go."

"That's a bad idea," Lydia stated. I nodded.

"We have to go or we'll be in deeper shit. No choice in that."

Sat in the audience, Dante piped up as well. "We're already under attack."

Dante was our second doctor alongside Siddiq, fairly new to our group. Admittedly, he was on the list of people I didn't trust fully now that we weren't certain of where that skin mask came from. Everyone cheered on with Dante's statement, agreeing that things couldn't get worse now that walkers were at our walls every few hours.

"It isn't her. If she wanted you dead, she'd send the horde," Lydia informed the group. "All of it, not just a few waves at a time."

"Maybe she's trying to wear us down first," Carol suggested what I had already suspected. Sending the horde at once would give us the option to just pack up and run, to relocate and escape. Doing it in waves with no time to rest in between, that meant we'd be too tired to fight eventually. If she sent in a large group at the end, we'd be exhausted. I hated to admit it but if Alpha was doing this on purpose, it was clever.

"Or, as I relayed to you all at the beginning of this meeting, there's plausible reason to believe..." Eugene started, hesitant, "...that the satellite and fire-"

"I don't want to hear about the damn satellite anymore, Eugene! My friends died trying to save yours and ended up with their heads on spikes." Margo yelled. Margo, like Dante, was new to Alexandria but she hadn't necessarily come from nowhere. She was part of the group we called 'the Highwaymen'. The two men I hadn't known that died on Alpha's pikes, Alek and Ozzy, were from her group and Carol had, at that time, recently met them. Margo stood up hastily, her chair scraping on the floor. "The Highwaymen want justice!"