~1~

"Virgil! Virgil! This won't do! Virgil, get in here now!"

Virgil Blacksky obediently entered his friend's' bedroom, keeping his eyes covered respectfully, shutting the door quietly. "What's the problem now, Jan?"

"I can't wear this! It's so last month! I'll let you know that Logan won't be wearing something so out of date! If I'm going to have to deal with him, I might as well look like I can afford nice things!"

Virgil resisted the urge to tell his friend that he was the son of an incredibly rich Lord and was currently living in a private home on the Isle of Lemara with miles of land to himself, and instead asked, "Am I allowed to look? You're not indecent, or anything?"

"No, no, I'm not indecent but, with this outfit, I might as well be."

With an internalised sigh, Virgil moved the hand from his eyes and looked his best friend up and down. Janus Adders was a spoiled, bossy child but that was to be expected. He was intelligent, witty, good looking and rich. His hair was black with dark gold streaks that glimmered in the light, his eyes were mismatched, as he was born with heterochromia, one of them was a dark, chocolate brown and the other, while still brown, was paler and softer. He had vitiligo, which definitely didn't hinder his looks, in fact, it made him look better. He was eyecatching and he knew it. And the outfit wasn't bad either, no matter what he was saying about it.

Janus had a soft, yellow waistcoat, with heavy golden embroidery, over a white shirt with rather floaty sleeves and funny ruffles at the wrist that Virgil had never learnt the name for. His trousers were slimming and black, his shoes were polished and shining and the small brooch in his collar glimmered clearly.

"All due respect, Jan," Virgil said, choosing his words carefully. "I think you look very good. No one else can pull that off as well as you, for sure. Besides, the style in right now is awful. Way too frilly and puffy - you'd look like some market town whore, not someone of your privilege."

Janus scowled thoughtfully at himself in the mirror. "Yes, I suppose you're right. I do look ravishing. Besides, Logan will just look silly, no matter what. He can't pull off anything with a face like his. Not that is would matter if he had a pretty face, he's got absolutely no interesting qualities, other than the fact he can list all the currencies of the world or something. I'm far more interesting than him."

"That you are," Virgil agreed, nodding. "The Crofts should be here soon, by the way. Do you need me to do anything else for you?"

Janus nodded. "Yeah, can you hang around for a bit? I'm bored and I'll be even more bored when Logan shows up. Gosh, he's boring. Last time he was here, all he talked about was that butler of his. Patton, right? Yeah, Patton. Seriously, he barely said anything else. Didn't even comment on the fact I had an amber and ruby bracelet which, may I remind you, was stunning, I don't know how he missed it. His butler isn't even that pretty anyway. His cheeks are just so round and he's always grubby. And annoying. Gosh, they'd make the perfect pair. Both are as dull and as annoying as each other."

Virgil listened quietly, nodding where he felt he should and shaking his head when he felt he was supposed to. Janus always had something to complain about and, sometimes, it was maddening. But, then, it wasn't his fault. Honestly, Virgil believed that, deep down, Janus was lonely. And Virgil had made it his own personal quest to make sure Janus never found out how lonely he really was.

The door opened and a servant bowed. "Master Adders," She said calmly. "The Crofts have arrived and your mother requests you to greet them."

"Ugh, they're here already," Groaned Janus with a grimace. He nudged Virgil with a subtle grin. "When it's midnight, we're gonna raid the kitchens and hang out, right?"