Chapter 10

I stared at the couch as Thane slept. His hair was braided and laying on top of his eyes as he snored loudly. His chest was bare as he only wore briefs. ‘Batman? How old is he, ten?’ I shook my head and grabbed my backpack, slipping in my bottle of water and my phone. I left the house and went on my run. The cool air felt refreshing as the birds tweeted in the trees. I had woken up early; almost three hours too early. Waking up at 4:30 in the morning wasn’t something I wanted to do frequently. As I ran around the park, my eyes stopped on a girl with brown hair and tattoos standing between two buildings. ‘Terri? What’s she doing this early?’ 

A guy I recognized from school walked up to her and smiled. ‘Are they ..together?’ I watched as she started kissing down his neck. ‘Don't watch this, Cat.’ Terri knelt down in front of him and my face scrunched up in disgust. ‘Not watching that.’ I turned to finish my run but froze when her mouth opened and her teeth turned to fangs. I gasped as she bit down on his leg. ’She bit him! Holy shit.’ My hand touched my neck and I flinched. The only thing on my neck was the emotional scar. The guy didn’t even scream; he moaned and put his hand in her hair, pulling it. ‘What the hell?’ I shook my head and ran home. 

I burst through the front door and slammed it closed, leaning against it. A heavy thud came from the couch and Thane jumped up, his braid bouncing as he looked around frantically. “The fuck?”

“She was drinking his blood!” We stared at each other until realization hit Thane’s face. 

“Asterin was feeding on someone? You saw?” I nodded, swallowing my nerves. 

“She was feeding on a guy from school,” I panted, feeling my neck. “It was different from my bite. He liked it! How could he like something like that? Her fangs were in his thigh for Christ’s sake!” I collapsed to my knees as I held my neck. Thane walked toward me and knelt down. 

“It’s a vampire thing. They can convince people to do things.”

“Like hypnosis?” 

“No. Yeah. I don’t fucking know. They just say they’re hunger and a person bares their neck. I don’t get it but it works and the victim doesn’t remember it.” Thane pulled on his braid in frustration. “Do I look like an expert on Vampirism? I can’t even tell you everything about us wolves. You just got stuck with me ‘cause the other wolves are basically afraid of the light.” He chuckled at his own joke and I shook my head, chuckling under my breath. ‘At least he lightened the mood.’= 

“Put on some pants, Thane.” He looked down then slowly looked up at me. “WHat’s with the weird look?”

He stuttered for a minute, “Nothin’, that's just the first time in a while someone has called me by my name.” He cleared his throat. Thane walked over to the couch and slipped on his grey jeans. 
I stood up and walked upstairs to take a shower and get dressed. I heard Thane call after me, “I’m making breakfast!” I rolled my eyes and got into the shower. 

____

I walked down the stairs and sat at the island to see a plate full of different things; sausang, bacon, beef patties, and eggs. ‘What’s with all the meat?’ Thane turned around a set a bowl of fruit down next to the plate and filled a glass of orange juice. He smiled, sweeping his hands over the island. “Bon appetit.”

“What’s with all the meat?”

 Thane smiled,“Ha! That rhymed. We eat meat ‘cause wolves eat meat. Primal instinct or some shit. Whatever, eat.” We dug in and Thane was right, I wanted the meat. ‘Guess I have to eat more meat.’ I cleared my throat.

“Thane,” I said softly and his head looked up. ”What’s going to happen?” My stomach had a knot and my tongue felt swollen. 

“You go to school, pretend that nothing has happened and when a dorky idiot says something stupid and wants to be your friend, accept him and he’ll protect you.” I nodded quickly as he leaned back. He sighed and ran his hand through the top of his braid. “If you mean later on, well that depends on a lot of shit. The Alphas will probably have a meeting, if they haven't already, and decide your fate.” A heavy lump formed in my throat as anxiety crept up my spine.