Chapter 7

I opened my eyes to see colorful butterflies on my ceiling. I sighed, rolling on my side and burying my face in my pillow. I heard a low moan and scanned the room to see Margo curled in a blanket on the floor beside the bed. I glanced at the time before getting up. 9:14 AM. I took a shower and ran to the kitchen to make lunch. As the eggs bubbled, Margo bolted down the stairs. She skidded to a stop as her eyes came over me. “Mornin’.” Margo laughed sarcastically.

“Morning?” She sat on a barstool and watched me in silence. When I finished breakfast, I set the plates on the bar and we ate quietly. “Your mom is gonna kill you, huh?” 

Margo glanced up at the clock and shrugged, “ Yeah.” I furrowed my brow, set down my fork, and leaned forward. 

“You okay?” Margo looked up and quickly looked away. “Usually you’d be freaking out about your mom and missing school. You literally shrugged it off like it was no big deal. What’s up?” Margo shuffled her eggs. I slapped my hand on the counter. “You won’t even look at me! Margo, what the hell?”

“You died!” I froze as she started to cry. “You stopped breathing, your heart stopped. I had to do CPR for the first time, on my best friend. I watched you puke your guts out, scream in your sleep, hallucinate!” She shook her head. “I heard your bones snap, Cat. I felt your finger break on my knee!” Margo swallowed, staring teary-eyed at me. “That was the worst night of my life. I had to watch you suffer all night, by myself, and you wake up and cook breakfast like nothing happened?” 

“I didn’t break anything. I had a fever, that’s all.” Even I knew I didn’t sound confident. 

“I was terrified, Catrina.” I looked up at my full name. “Don’t believe me?” 

“Ask the dishes?” I muttered hoping to break the mood. I shuffled nervously. Margo was a cool cucumber, nothing usually bothered her.

“Look.” Margo flashed me her phone and pressed play.  Heavy panting and whimpering came from the dark screen. ‘Marky, I’m scared. She’s acting really weird.’ Margo whispered in the video. A small light flicked on to show me lying on my bed with my eyes open. I jumped as a scream pierced the air and the camera shook as the angle changed to the floor next to the bed. It was quiet for a moment until she whispered ‘Cat?’. Silence. Margo moved closer to the bed. ‘Cat.’ When she didn’t get a reply she flipped the camera back to her face, ‘The Doctor isn’t responding to me anymore and I don’t know what else to do. Wha-’ another scream caused me to jump as Margo screamed and the video cut off. “You were terrifying.” Margo restated.

I looked her over, the exhaustion more obvious than before. Her beautiful dark hair was in a frizzy, tangled braid, the black eyeliner from yesterday smudged, and dark circles under her dull brown eyes. Everything that made Margo Bishop was gone - the sass, the style, the confidence- it was gone. I swallowed, shuffling my feet. “I’m sorry.” ‘What else can I say?’ Margo continued watching me intently. I swallowed, avoiding her gaze. We finished eating and started on our homework. ’Might as well do school work if we’re not actually gonna go to school.’ The next few hours were quiet. Margo didn’t come near me during that time. 

I glanced at the grandfather clock: 2 PM. I sighed as I thought about lunch. ‘I used the last of the eggs for breakfast. Guess I have to go grocery shopping.’ I stood up and stretched. “Hey, Margo, you wanna-” She stood up and started packing her things.

“No, I’m gonna go home and sleep. I was kinda up all night.” Her harsh tone pierced through me. A small knot of guilt formed in my chest. Tingles erupted on my skin. 

“You didn’t need to come over. I was fine.” She stopped, turning to me. 

“Fine, then I won’t do it again. I’m obviously not needed.” Margo snapped, walking to the door. ‘Really Margo?’