Chapter 4

Enrique sat in the back of the truck. The wind blowing by his head while the truck drove to Enrique's so called group. He was tied up from the arms and trying to find a way out with a rifle pointed at him by Sonia who was also in the bed of the truck while Brandon was driving them. "So you do know after we get your stuff from your group, we're going to kill you." She said it so nonchalantly, like she'd done this a million times. "You wouldn't want to do that, cause I'm uhh... I'm valuable" Enrique said to try to keep himself alive "oh yeah? How so?" She asked with a smirk on her face. Enrique had to think for a second, knowing he just put himself into this hole "uhh well it's a secret and well I'm not sure if you're ready to hear it." Enrique said knowing Sonia would try to push it, just to give himself some more time to think. "How are you valuable?" She asked, not looking amused this time. "Uhh well, I know some information regarding secret storages filled with tons and tons of food, water and gas." Enrique thought that'd be good enough, it seemed to be what they wanted but he didn't know why yet. While moving his hands he found a sharp edge on the truck and decided to try and cut the rope he's tied to very discretely. "How much supplies?" Sonia asked looking curious "enough to last a group of sixty people for two years"
Sonia laughed "bit of an exaggeration or what?" She asked still chuckling "no, not an exaggeration, if it were rationed it could last that long but with three peopl-"
"Three?" Sonia asked, interrupting Enrique "I mean, t-two people of course. But if that were rationed just the same, you guys could last years!" He said looking proud of himself "hmm... And just where exactly is this place?" Sonia asked as Enrique got his hands free. He knew he had to wait for the right time or he'd really be shot. *why has everyone I've met tried to kill me* Enrique thought to himself "it's farther south from my group, underground. It's where we came from, there used to be more but..." Enrique was interrupted by Brandon running over something "Could you be more careful?" She asked banging on the window to the front seats of the truck. Enrique knew this was his chance. He grabbed the barrel of the rifle, pointed it down and punched Sonia in the nose. He took the gun and took control. "What?" That's all Sonia could get out as she looked up at Enrique "look, I don't want to hurt you. You and Brandon seem like nice people but I don't really want to die today. So why don't we start by you telling me why and how everything's gone so bad?" Sonia looked confused "what do you mean?"
"I mean, what's with giant butterfly's, everyone trying to kill me, something about groups and how we need resources? Why don't you just go to the store like a normal person? And where are all the other cars on the road?" Enrique asked nudging the gun forward. "You really don't know anything? Man have you been living under a rock?" Sonia laughed but Enrique was not amused. He pointed the gun to her head "just start talking" the laughter drifted from her face "Fine, but this better not mean you don't have a group. First of all radiation has spread everywhere. Entire species were wiped out and others... Changed" she said looking down "what do you mean changed?"
"Well like the Wonju for example or how you call them, giant butterfly's. They've been changed to become larger. Many humans have become flesh eating monsters but still have the intelligence to talk. We don't know why it hasn't hit some people, others changed into swamp things that are super red neck and scary but most are man eating monsters. Some other species changed but not all like cockroaches, most bugs basically and wolves. For one reason or another older species have come back too like the mammoth, but even that's probably a mutation of an elephant. Mostly because of what humans have become... you know you have to worry about the mutated flesh eating ones, but sometimes the normal ones are even worse... and well we're all struggling to survive. Brandon probably told you I didn't ever know my parents but truth is... I did know them... And they're gone..." Sonia said as tears dripped down her face "I watched those things that used to be my neighbors eat my parents in my living room..." She said with her head up trying to look tough, sobbing uncontrollably. "So yeah, I'd say I am pretty tough like Brandon said." Enrique didn't know what to say. He couldn't point a gun at a little girl much less one that's crying. But he knew that she could try something at any moment, although he felt sick to his stomach to imagine what the world is. How could any little girl like her watch their parents being eaten? Enrique knew he certainly couldn't have. The truck came to a sudden stop and Enrique fell onto Sonia, who was still crying. Enrique looked up and Brandon was getting out.

There was a whole herd of nothing but Wonju that came just into sight out of fog. Maybe forty of them, staring at the three and their truck from about 50 yards away.