ii. we're running out of food

Tw // minor character death

~~~

Julie Molina

1 year ago.

Today is the day.

Today is the day that we are assigned to go into the bunker.

I'm so scared, to be honest. I'm only allowed to bring one bag. Mine is mostly filled with clothes and whatnot.

Lucky for me, Alex got chosen to be in the bunker too. I think his dad somehow bought their way in.

His dad is a businessman, so that's plausible.

We're advised to wear full bodysuits, a face mask, and an eye mask.

I'm not complaining, honestly. I don't want to be burned again, it's just extremely uncomfortable and hot.

My parents pack everything into our car and I take one last look at our house. Can our car even go in the bunker? Surely it's not that big.

I never really noticed how beautiful the front of our house was until now.. besides all the dead plants that the sun killed.

The way the sun shines down onto it makes it really stand out. I'll miss it. I'll miss my room the most though.

I sit in the backseat next to Carlos and see that Alex had texted me.

He was asking if I had left yet and that he was already at the bunker with his family, and it was humongous.

Well, that answers one of my questions.

I text him back asking if we would be able to take the car, and he said he didn't think so, and that the bunker was big, but not that big.

Aw.

We start driving and I play on my phone the whole time. There most likely wouldn't be service in this bunker, so I wanted to make the most of it.

I go on Twitter and see my whole timeline up in flames, they're either talking about how the world is literally ending, or how much they hate our president.

Can't blame them for either of those. I think it's unfair how Caleb is only letting in so many people into each of his bunkers.. but at the same time, some other countries don't have bunkers at all, so needless to say I'm pretty lucky.

I heard some celebrities bought their way into some. Maybe I'll meet Ariana Grande, that would be something.

We arrive after what felt like the longest drive. It wasn't really that long, but my nerves made it seem that way.

I get out of the car and grab my bag from my trunk, feeling the heat from the handle of my bag. God, it was so hot, and for what?

What did we do to deserve this?

I listen to how the wheels of my suitcase move against the gravel as we walk to the bunker. There's a long line of people to get in, some looking frantic.