Life Attempts

1 week later
F/N POV

I peek over the rock and see the human swimming around in the Grassy Plateau. He seems to be collecting materials from small rocks.

Whatever. He won't live long enough to use them.

I swim behind one of the natural pillars, keeping out of his sight. He turns around, but he doesn't acknowledge, meaning that he must not have seen me. He turns around again and goes back to what he was doing.

A small Spade Fish swims up to him. The human takes out a device that I've never seen before. He points the device at the Spade Fish, then the device starts to analyze it, meaning that it's a scanner of some sort.

After he scans the Spade Fish,he continues gathering materials. I look around to see what I have to work with.

There's a Biter, but I doubt that'll do much. I continue looking around. At first, I don't see anything. But then I look closer at a pair of fins sticking up out of the sand. I smirk, knowing what it is I'm looking at.

I see that the human turned around again. I stick out my tail so that my fins are visible. As expected, he notices. He comes closer, so I move away. Eventually he gets close enough that he attracts the attention of a Sand Shark. It pops out of the sand and surprises the human.

"Oh shit!" He exclaims in surprise.

I swim away and watch from a distance.

M/N POV

A large creature pops out of the sand and starts attacking me.

"Oh shit!" I exclaim in surprise.

I back away from the spasming creature. It's displaying signs of aggression, that much is obvious. But I wonder if it's because the creature predatory or if this a territorial thing?

Only one way to find out.

I take out my Stasis Rifle, aim it at the creature, then fire. When the energy from he gun hits the creature, a stasis bubble appears around it. I swim into the stasis bubble and scan the creature. When the scan is complete, I swim away as fast as I can. When I'm far enough away, I look back and see the creature burrow into the sand.

I look at my PDA. The Spectroscope designated it Sand Shark. Fitting name. According to the scan, it is indeed predatory. It doesn't say anything about it being territorial.

"Well, now I know to keep my eyes on the ground here." I say aloud for no apparent reason.

F/N

... Shit.

3 days later

I follow the human around in the Creepvine Forest. He's been collecting seed clusters for some reason. Just like with the materials from three days ago, I don't know why he's collecting them.

It doesn't matter. As long as he ends up in something's stomach.

I notice a Stalker swimming around close to me. I also notice the piece of metal in it's mouth. They've been playing with large pieces of metal ever since that ship crashed. Maybe I could use that to my advantage.

I swim closer to the Stalker and grab it's attention. It notices me, then charges at me with it's jaws wide open. I quickly grab a piece of metal and toss it towards the human. Thankfully, the Stalker followed the metal instead of paying attention to me.

M/N POV

I feel something hit my helmet. I look and see that it was a piece of scrap metal from The Aurora. Where the hell did it come from?

*RRROOOAAA*

I look up and see a Stalker charge at me. Thinking quickly, I grab the piece of metal and use it as a shield. The Stalker bounces off of it, then swims away. Unfortunately, it turns around and charges at me again. Again, I use the scrap metal as a shield, and again, the Stalker bounces off of it.

I try and remember the scan that I did two months ago. What did it say? Predatory... oldest species... teeth... wait a minute! The teeth fall out when they play with metal!

I take the piece of metal in my hand and toss it aside. Thankfully, my hunch was right, and the Stalker followed the metal instead of paying attention to me. I use the opportunity to take out my Seaglide and swim away.

F/N POV

... Damn it! This is going to be harder than I thought, isn't it?