1: Hiding is Easy

My name is Choi Eunah Moon. I go by Moon. My life has always been different, to say the least. I got through primary and secondary school just fine as well as almost all of post-secondary or high school. My senior year had a few moments. My mom would have to call me out of school to keep the rest of the students safe. I should probably mention, I'm a part of the Choi Clan. Or what you would call a mob of sorts. My dad is the leader. It got passed down to him after his father, my grandfather, died. Again, it never really affected me. My mom was always at home. My dad had his meetings but he was also usually home. We always had guards around the house but when I was little, they would always play with me. And as far as I can remember, no one came after us while I was at the house. 

Of course, being almost 18, our rivals in the area, the Suh Clan, started seeing me as a liability. Something to get my dad to drop deals. I always tell him to never worry about it. I can protect myself. The only big difference in my childhood that I had from everyone else was the self-defense and gun training. It only started when I turned 12. I always have a knife strapped to my side, hidden under my pants or shirt, depending on the day. I never questioned it. I knew it wasn't normal but it's not like I had many friends to tell for a long time. Actually, I only ever had two constant friends in my life. One was my guard's little brother. I kind of have to say friend loosely because he was the only child in the Suh family. His uncle was the leader of the Suh clan. We knew we couldn't be friends but, our parents didn't interfere until our freshman year. It was sudden too. My dad knocked on my door one morning. I said he could come in as I was putting my knife on my waistband and putting my shirt over it. He walked in, hesitantly. "Hey, dad what's wrong?" I could tell he didn't want to tell me what he was about to tell me.

"Hey bug, I need to ask you to do something. I don't think you'll like it but, it's for your safety." He sat on my bed. I was looking in the mirror, putting my hair into a messy bun then I turned to face him.

"What is it, dad?" I was confused.

"I need you to stop hanging out with the Suh boy. I'm just afraid that as you two get older, his people will see you as a liability against me or our people will see him as a liability against you. And I would never let that happen but it might reach a point where I have no choice." He dropped his head.

"Okay," I said without a second thought. I didn't want to stop talking to him but, I know that my dad only ever wants what's best for me. Of course, I was already thinking of ways to keep talking to him without either side knowing.

"Really?" he sounded surprised. I nodded and he got off my bed and hugged me, "I'm so sorry that this has to happen. But I don't want to see you hurt or worse." I hugged him back.

"I know dad, it's okay." He let me go and pats my head, his habit to show affection ever since I was a kid. He walked out, closing my door, and I grabbed my phone to text Sammy, already having a full plan in my head.

Moon; Hey, my dad just came in saying we can't talk anymore. I have a temporary plan, change the names on our phones. I'll change yours to Sangki. You can change mine to whatever.

Moon; Luv you, see you at school.

I deleted the first message and changed the name. Sangki, my guard's brother, helped cover for me when I would go to "his house" and hang out with Sammy. And that trick worked. For a long time. For the rest of my high school career, I made eye contact with Sammy but never talked, just in case someone from either side was watching. Sammy was more social than me so his parents didn't question when he had another name on his phone. My parents didn't question because I had Sammy in as just Sangki and the actual Sangki as Key, my nickname for him forever. I graduated high school this year. I did the ceremony like everyone else and because it was a very special occasion, both of our families got together and celebrated. Sammy and I had to act like we haven't talked in 4 years. Which wasn't hard. We all had dinner at my house then just mingled. Key, Sammy, and I sat around the fire pit outside.

"So what do you guys plan on doing now that we're graduated?" Key asked

"I get to open my cafe downtown so that is gonna be my priority," I'm playing with one of my braids. Then I look up to Sammy, waiting for him to answer.

"I actually found an apartment downtown so my mom is gonna help me move out next week." He smiles at me. I already knew about the apartment. He had shown it to me a few weeks prior, the building is right across the street from my cafe. I could see Sammy's dad staring at us the whole time. But other than his dad trying to kill us with his eyes, we had fun. We talked about where they were going to college. I hadn't started thinking about college because I want to still try my half normal life with my cafe. I also want to help my dad, make sure I'm ready to take over when he's gone.

"Probably a stupid question but Moon, is your cafe a front for the business?" Key asked quietly as if the people around us don't know what they do. I shake my head.

"Nope, my dad is just letting me have my project. I'm so nervous and excited at the same time," I smile and take a sip of my drink.

"Okay, then is it a front so that you two can see each other?" he said, quietly again. I wanted to smack him but I didn't want to be asked why. So instead I just rolled my eyes and luckily my mom needed me. I hop up quickly, knowing for a fact that those two were going to continue talking about it, and hurry over to my mom.

"Hi momma," I stop and turn to who she was talking to. I didn't recognize him but I knew he was from the Suh side. I bow and step a little closer to my mom.

"Moon, this is Suh San Gyu," he bows back.

"Hello sir," I look over at Chan, my guard, who is watching Sangyu like a hawk, which makes me feel better. The only Suh member I've ever felt safe around is Sammy for obvious reasons.

"Hello Moon, I've heard you are opening a cafe, how exciting," He smiles at me. I shiver but my mom doesn't notice.

"Yeah, it's been a dream project of mine," I try to not sound uncomfortable, which I had gotten pretty good at.

"Eunmi," someone calls my mom over.

"I'll leave you two to talk," she taps my shoulder and bows towards him. He bows back and I see Chan start moving closer. I always get more nervous the more suspicious he gets so I try to leave the conversation.

"If you have any questions, I'll be over there with my friend," I turn to walk away but he grabs my arm, subtly so no one else would notice. He pulls me close to him.

"What are you planning little bitch?" he whispers but before I could answer Chan and Sammy were pulling him away from me. I didn't realize that Sammy had gotten up. I stumble back and Chan catches me.

"You alright Eun?" He used to call me miss but I always thought that it was too formal so we compromised on him calling me Eun (pronounced Ye-uhn) since it's closer to my proper first name.

"Yeah," I nod, staring at Sangyu who is being talked to by Sammy and his dad, Mr. Suh.

"Miss Choi, I'm so sorry about my brothers behavior," Mr. Suh walks up and bows

"Brother?" I had never seen him before. Mr. Suh was the one who would come by the house for certain meetings and deals. I look over to Sangyu then back to Mr. Suh. I step forward and gain my confidence back. "So your leader only had the courage to confront the Choi's kid," I try to step forward more but Chan grabs my shoulder. I huff and walk back over to Key, Sammy following behind. I could still hear him when Sangyu said 'Wow, little bitch has balls' He said it in Mandarin thinking I wouldn't understand but I did.

"Sorry again about my uncle," Sammy catches up to me. "He is kind of a coward. Always has my dad do the deals for him. Unless it involves you," I pause and turn towards him, angry.

"So all the times I had to leave school was still because of him?" Sammy nods. I sit and watch Mr. Suh escort his brother out. I roll my eyes and try to forget about it for the rest of the night.