|6| S.P.E.W

Clara arrived in her Transfigurations class and sat down at her usual desk beside Hannah, placing her book and quill down in front of her. She preferred to carry those items, not because it made her life any easier but because she hated having her hands awkwardly unoccupied and empty.

Professor McGonagall had already written the instructions for the class on the blackboard at the front, including the page they were to turn to and the contents they had to cover. As much as Clara wasn't keen on her for the sole reason that she was always picking on her for answers, she had to admit that she definitely was organised.

"Psst, Clara."

Clara slowly turned around in her seat, constantly checking over her shoulder to make sure McGonagall hadn't noticed. Hermione occupied the desk behind her with a girl from Ravenclaw, although she wasn't exactly sure what her name was.

"Have you noticed the gross injustice in the treatment of house-elves across the wizarding world?" Hermione whispered to her.

Hannah briefly turned her head and rolled her eyes. "No one's gonna join your elf club, Granger."

Hermione childishly scrunched her nose up at her and then continued her rant. "They get a very raw deal, house-elves. They're effectively forced into slavery their entire lives, with absolutely no legal protection or rights. That is why I've started a society to protect them, to provide hope to the house-elf community: the 'Society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare' or S.P.E. W for short."

Clara hesitated for a moment. "Doesn't that spell-"

"Yes, I know what it spells," Hermione interjected with a sigh, probably after having that pointed out to her several times. "My initial idea for the name was 'Stop the Outrageous Abuse of Our Fellow Magical Creatures and Campaign for a Change in Their Legal Status', but it didn't really abbreviate well. Anyway, that's beside the point. Would you like to join?" she asked hopefully. "For a fee of only 2 sickles towards the cause," she added quickly.

Hannah tapped Clara's shoulder. "You don't have to join, you know."

"Um . . ." Clara hesitated for a moment before reaching into her pocket and pulling out a few coins, placing them on Hermione's desk, "yes, that sounds nice, I suppose."

Judging by her expression, Hermione was absolutely delighted. "Wonderful-!"

"Miss. Granger," McGonagall snapped, startling both her and Clara. "I do hope you are focusing on the work I've set you, unless of course you don't find it challenging enough."

Hermione went bright red. "Not at all, professor."

With her heart still racing, Clara turned her attention back towards her work. Only a few seconds later, Hermione tossed a badge over to her desk, with the letters SPEW on the front. While Hannah scoffed at it, Clara timidly attached it to her jumper but positioned so that it would be covered by her robe.

The lesson finally ended and Clara scooped her belongings into her arms, starting out of the room. However, it was just as she left the classroom that Draco Malfoy suddenly accosted her in the corridor.

"Badger," he snapped, causing her to jump and almost drop her belongings. She turned to face him nervously. "Library, same time as last time," he said just as Astoria turned up and began to drag him away by the arm while laughing. "Be there."

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘ ༓ ∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Straight after dinner, Clara entered the library and made her way through the various areas towards the Alchemy Section, feeling only marginally more confident than last time. It was only slightly busier than before, but that may've had something to do with the fact that it was only the start of the week.