What if it isn't a dream?

That night next to Klaus passed wonderfully and I wouldn't exaggerate if I say it was the best of my life; I don't remember ever sleeping so well in 25 years.

However, in the morning I wished to wake up in my own bed because, even though I've said before, the idea of being away from home and not having the possibility to stay in contact with my family was making me feel alone and lost.

I opened slowly my eyes hoping to find myself in my bedroom but it wasn't.... the place next to me was empty but the room wasn't mine, it was Klaus' .

It wasn't a dream then, I was really there. But, how could it be? Why was I there?

Damn it! No, no, it couldn't be... it must be a dream.

My thoughts got suddenly interrupted by the strange apparition of a, maybe 14 year old, boy who appeared literally in the room.

I screamed and tried to escape but he blocked my way disappearing and appearing again magically in front of me.

<< You should be? >> he asked me frowning and gazing at me suspiciously and full of contempt.

After regaining control I tried to answer calmly.

<< I'm Amy, nice to meet you >> I told him holding out my hand hoping he would shake hands but how he was looking at it, it was like he wanted to spit on it.

So I talked again. << Yesterday I lost myself and I reached your house after walking a lot and Klaus... hosted me >>.

He clenched his fists. << Klaus.... >>.

<< Anyway, you have to go away >>.

And without saying anything else, he disappeared as he appeared: magically.

I was petrified without knowing well what to think.

After a while Klaus opened the door and staggered in; he was holding a glass that seemed having cocktail in it.

<< Already drunk in the early morning? >> I asked him smiling.

He turned to me, slowly spreading his arms, risking to overturn the cocktail.

<< In the early morning alcohol relaxes your skin, dearie >>.

he got close to the writing desk and rummaged in one of his drawer; he took out a bag containing some pills, he took some and swallowed them helping himself with the remaining cocktail.

In that moment I thought it was strange taking medicine with alcohols but I was able to know why he was always so calm and carefree or at least I thought to. I thought those medicines were nothing but tranquillizers but I would understand soon it would be a whole other thing.

<< Come with me >> Klaus said << I want you to meet the rest of the family and well you must starve >>.

He sweetly placed an arm on my shoulder and invited me to go out the room.

While going down the stairs, I mustered courage and asked him about that strange boy.

<< Not to seem intrusive but.... who is that boy who appeared before in your room? What tricks do you have in this house? Well, he materialized in the room >>.

Without getting agitated Klaus answered me. << Oh, you did already meet Five? Well... one less person to introduce you. >>.

Five?

<< But.. what do you say about the fact he appeared in the room without opening the door? He materialized in front of me >> I replied a bit scared.