What are you hiding from me?

<< Can you tell me what's happening to you? You could kill her >>.

These were the first words I remember to hear after I recovered or better say this was the first lucid memory of that day. Everything that happened after those drugs, I don't recall.

I was there, sitting on the bed.

I was terribly confused and drenched in sweat.

I raised slowly my eyes and looked at the person who spoke those words and recognised his voice, it was the same I heard before those pills took effect; it was Ben.

<< Come on, Ben! Look at her, she's alright! >> Klaus told pointing at me.

<< It's true you're good? >> he asked.

I looked at him, smiled and then said << yeah, great >>.

<< See Ben? She's doing great >> Klaus looked really proud of his actions.

When I began recovering I turned to Ben and asked him.

<<I'm sorry, but where do you come from? >>.

Klaus, who was turning his back to me, answered << I remained here all the time to assist you and enjoy the show. I never saw someone high that wasn't me >>.

He stood staring into space and then shrugged as if he wanted to say "well, not bad".

<< No no, I wasn't telling you but him >> I answered pointing to Ben.

Klaus turned suddenly and Ben turned to stone.

<< You see me? >> Ben asked.

<< You see him >> Klaus interrupted with eyes full of wonder, curiosity and... hope.

<< Of course I see you! Why all this astonishment? >>

<< Oh well, because he's dead >>. The care-freeness with which Klaus said those words gave me goosebumps only for a moment.

<< How long does it take this shit to stop working? >> I asked shocked.

<< Before all of this.. >> Klaus began << this is quality stuff and second it stopped working. He isn't an hallucination, unfortunately >>.

Ben leered at him and sighed.

<< Come on, brother, I was kidding >> Klaus said showing him a funny smile.

Brother? Another one? Dead? I wasn't understanding at all.

Klaus perceived my confusion and it was in that moment he got close to me and sat next to me.

<< Dearie, I feel you. It wasn't easy also for me but you'll get used to >>.

Klaus caressed me and then hugged me conveying in me so much sweetness I never used to feel before.

I hugged a lot of people in my life but that, it was one of the most amazing embraces of all the time.

I returned the gesture and hugged him close.

<< But how this is possible? >> I asked him.

<< You know anything? Please, help me understand >>.

Klaus looked at me.

<< I'll explain everything but first we have to resolve some thorny issue >>.

I didn't reply, I only looked at him hoping he would say more.

<< When I told I stood here all the time, well... I lied >>.

I crossed arms and waited for him to keep on.

<< During my absence it seems you took a walk in the house and said some strange things >>.

I opened my eyes wide.

<< And what did I say? >> I asked trying to look somewhat intimidating.

<< I don't know >> he said << but it looks like you made my siblings even more suspicious so, before explaining everything to you we should calm things down >>.

My arms fell down.

Ben looked at me and I could feel all his support.

<< It has been years I've been supporting all your shit, Klaus >>.

Even though this sentence was full of anger, Ben said these words in utter calm without raising voice.

Klaus seemed not to give so much weight to what he heard.

<< She deserves better you know >>.

Klaus sighed and then turned his eyes to him. << you think I don't know? I'll fix everything >>.

<< When? >> Ben looked bothered.

<< When it will be time.. and look? This is not the moment >>.

<< Maybe he's right >> I interrupted drawing attention from Klaus << maybe we have first to understand what I said to your siblings and try to fix the situation hoping I didn't do irreparable damages >>.

Klaus showed off a big smile.

<< See, she's right >>.

Ben raised his eyebrows. << Obviously, when it's about escaping from your responsibilities... >>.

<< Have anyone ever told you you're boring? >> Klaus asked interrupting suddenly Ben's conversation.

At that point I got up stumbling a bit.

<< Alright, let's solve a problem one at a time. Now we go to your siblings and we try to understand what happened. You'll come with me Klaus, right? Please, I need you, don't leave me alone >>.

In that moment Klaus' look seemed different and I felt he wanted to cry.

<< Did I say something wrong? >> I asked him worried.

<< No, no.. absolutely >.

At that point, he got near and we both went out aware of what we should face.

I was scared.

What if they accused me of wanting to hurt them? How could I defend myself?

The only thing I was sure about was that Klaus was hiding something from me but still I didn't know what was about.