6

The window did not move in slow motion, it swung out faster than anything had ever swung.

Something had put him on his back, he wasn't sure what, but something definitely had. What was it he had been doing? He couldn't quite remember. He remembered leaving his house that morning, but he did not remember returning, yet here he was. He lay in his bed, in his room, in his house but something did not seem right. He had no recollection of his day out, no idea where he'd been, if he had indeed been anywhere. His door creaked, someone was checking on him. He sat up.

"No, no, no, no." the intruding presence said, as it rushed forward, "You must rest."

"No, I can't sleep," protested Nathaniel, "Please let me sit, and could you bring me water?"

Relenting to his wishes, his mother nodding said, "Of course, I'll be right back."

Once he had drunk his fill he had to ask her, "What happened?"

"I found you up the road, you were sprawled on your back in an empty lot to the left of our house, and there was a long red stripe across your forehead. I thought you dead but then I held you, you were still warm and so I lifted you, to carry you home."

"What?" his head hurt, "How? I don't remember anything."

"I don't know Nathaniel but, you're going to stay home and rest for a while."

Nathaniel didn't agree with Astrid, he wanted to go out and find the house, he needed to. He didn't know that he already had and so, to reassure his mother he said, "I will rest."